iTunes updates files on every new sync

Discussion in 'iTunes' started by bwrightuindy, Oct 31, 2007.

1. bwrightuindy

bwrightuindy New Member

I've searched the site and can't find anything similar. I'm running iTunes 7.4.3.1 on a Windows XP SP2 machine. When I sync my Touch, iTunes updates a random number of files--sometimes the same ones, but not always the same. If I re-sync without disconnecting, no files are updated. Then, if I unplug the USB cable, plug it back in and re-sync, same thing: between 15 and 40 some files are updated. These files should already be on the Touch from the previous sync, and shouldn't have to be updated. Not a big deal, but annoying to have to wait for these random files to update. The Outlook Calendar, Contacts, and Photos sync just fine.

TIA

BJ
  2. phroztbyt3

phroztbyt3 New Member

The files it always resyncs are contacts, emails, pictures, and calendar schedules if you have any of this enabled. The reason for this is because iTunes has a difficult time understanding what has already been added to outlook because it can't analyze a .pst file. So it just transfers it no matter what and has outlook deal with it (by overwriting or adding). Also, there are constantly new updates to your ID3 tags for your songs because the itunes store is constantly updating. So if you have set up album art, there might be new album art to stuff you hadn't added it before. Many different reasons for this.

And no, apple is not out to get you, or all of our ipods would be bricked right now ^O^
  3. bwrightuindy

bwrightuindy New Member

To clarify

Thanks for the quick response. To clarify, I realize the Outlook stuff syncs every time--I should have specified that a random number of MUSIC files syncs. Interesting news about the ID3 tags--I didn't realize that they were updated. I have a feeling it may be more than that, however, since at least SOME of the same songs re-sync every time. I haven't had a chance to confirm if it is a subset of the same songs every time or not. And the music files update even if I unplug the USB cable and plug it right back in several times in a row. I doubt that these files are being updated in that little amount of time. Perhaps I have some quirky ID3 tags that are forcing iTunes to sync the files?
  4. kdm

kdm New Member

I have the same problem.

I am certain the songs it keeps 'updating' have not changed. I don't think I even listen to most of them.
  5. zatchzeno

zatchzeno New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    just let it do it, otherwise it might mess up your iPod
  6. tosiabunio

tosiabunio New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    My iTunes started to behave the same way. Every time I sync it, it starts updating some movie files. I usually happens when I sync without actually changing anything in my iTunes (I do it to know which movies has been watched and can be deleted safely) - for some reasons it needs to reupload some files.

Firmware 3.1.2. iTunes 9.0.1.8
  7. mookiemeister

mookiemeister New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Same here. Mine usually update 1 or 2 song files (different every time) even though, as far as I know, those songs haven't been changed in a while. I've noticed this quirkiness in iTunes 8 and 9 with firmware 2.x and 3.x.