Itunes store chat support tech.

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Games & Apps' started by CaNe, May 23, 2009.

1. CaNe

CaNe New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I was wondering if there is a way around this stupid crap, I purchased these gift cards for myself because i do not own a credit card, In my opinion there stupid and a huge headache, So i would rather go another route, But apple is telling me there is some sort of stupid law proventing them from allowing canadains to purchase games or applications, The below is the chat i had, Can anyone figure a way around this and find a loop hole perhaps?

iTunes Chat Support Transcript

General Info
    Chat start time May 23, 2009 2:56:57 PM EST
    Chat end time May 23, 2009 3:20:00 PM EST
    Duration (actual chatting time) 00:23:03
    Operator Scott

Chat Transcript
    info: queue_cmd:1:0:16
    info: Hi, my name is Scott. It'll be just a moment while I review the comments you provided.
    Scott: Good afternoon Brandon.
    Brandon Webb: Good afternoon
    Scott: I understand you have a question about an iTunes gift card?
    Brandon Webb: Thats correct, I just purchased 2 10$ cards for itunes, And i am trying to use them to purchase music and applications, But after reedeming them my account says i have 20$ witch is correct, but there is no option to use the card to purchase the music, it just asks for a credit card, Is there an option some wherre to make it pick my reedemed gift cards?
    Scott: Let me take a look at your account.
    Brandon Webb: Ok, Thank you
    Scott: Okay, your account does show the $20 store credit. The store credit should be applied first to any song purchase.
    Scott: Are you trying to purchase any games or applications?
    Brandon Webb: I'm currently trying to purchase the Tetris game for 4.99 for my wife
    Scott: I'm afraid that in Canada there is a federal law that prohibits Canadian customers from purchasing games or applications with iTunes gift cards/store credit.
    Brandon Webb: Oh no really.... Thats the main reason why i purchased the cards, Was to download applications that you cant get for free, I mean you can only go so far with free stuff.
    Scott: Sorry, but I'm afraid that it is true. We would love to let you do it but the law prevents us from letting you do it.
    Brandon Webb: Is it against the law to have my account changed from Canada to US so im able to download applications?
    Scott: Well, no, but it won't work unless you have a US billing address on the account.
    Scott: And unfortunately the iTunes system won't let you change the country on your account if you have a store credit balance on the account.
    Brandon Webb: Ok, So i am just left with purchasing music only, And not applications or games?
    Scott: You can purchase Music, Music Videos, Movies, Movie Rentals and TV Shows, just not games and applications with your store credit.
    Brandon Webb: Ok thanks for explaining it to me, Is there gonna be a time when Canadians are allowed to download games and applications? Is itunes working on this with our goverment?
    Scott: The games and apps are available you just have to use a credit card. I don't know that Apple is trying to change the Tax laws in Canada. You can contact your local government official or I can give you a link for feedback to Apple.
    Brandon Webb: Ah ok, I was unsure if Canadians where just unable to purchase applications and games all together no matter the payment method, Ill just use my credit card then to purchase the games and applications, I thank you for your time sir.
    Scott: You are very welcome. Is there anything else I can do for you concerning this issue?
    Brandon Webb: I dont think so, I mean a law is a law and we cant go breaking it, Ill just use my credit card for game and application purchases, Thank you, and have a good day
    Scott: You too. It has been a pleasure chatting with you today. Please click the blue Close button to provide any feedback you have in our post chat survey about my service today and to request a transcript of our conversation. Thank you.
  2. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    Move or get a credit card
  3. BigDaveyJ

BigDaveyJ New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Exactly, how do you not have a credit card, but do have a wife?
  4. CaNe

CaNe New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Because i dont believe in credit cards, they there money you dont own, and once you use that money you owe it back with extra, why should i pay for a piece of plastic when i can just use my money or gift cards.
  5. ZombieKiller

ZombieKiller Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Theres always Pre-Paid Credit Cards... and theres debit cards too.
  6. Cheat_Code

Cheat_Code Member

Device:
    iPhone
    well most banks atm card are credit cards too..
    Try that?
  7. chavanak

chavanak Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    It's very sad for Canadians i suppose. It's so much better with gift cards. I am in Germany and luckily we don't have that law.
    I can understand why he doesn't want a credit card. I think the best bet will be a prepaid credit card.
  8. Tourniquet.

Tourniquet. Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    just a stupid law, why not letting them use an itunes gift cards for buying apps and games?
  9. bgizzle

bgizzle Administrator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    I don't "believe" in spending money I don't have either, but that doesn't mean I don't use a credit card. I use one of the Amex cashback cards to get 1% back on most purchases and just spend less than I actually have, and always pay on time. You are never charged interest unless you don't pay in full and on time. It's not that hard to enjoy the benefits of having a card without actually taking on debt.