iTunes sees my touch, but other iPod programs don't

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by rmagruder, Dec 28, 2007.

1. rmagruder

rmagruder New Member

I have my iPod touch plugged into my Dell laptop and iTunes sees it and works with it perfectly (btw, my firmware is 1.1.2).

Problem is, other iPod software, like that from Red Chair and Daniusoft (the latter says it supports the touch), say the iPod isn't connected.

In Device Manager in Windows, I have the "Apple Mobile Device USB Driver" showing up and working seemingly fine.

So what's the deal? Are these programs no longer able to see the Touch? Or is this a Windows problem? I really would like to back up my iPod Touch's music library onto my laptop (as opposed to my desktop at home)....but the utilities don't work if they can't see the iPod. iTunes has no problems. I would say it seems like Apple is locking everything else out, but then why would these third parties say their stuff works on the touch?

Randy
  2. chopshop

chopshop New Member

All the older iTunes substitutes don't work with the touch since it doesn't work in disk mode like the older iPods. I would check the program that says it is compatible for any updates.

I used one called ipod access. The first version I downloaded did not recognize the Touch, but when I updated the software it worked fine.
  3. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I've heard people say that the software from this company works well with the iPod Touch... http://www.findleydesigns.com/index.html

Otherwise, chopshop is right - these iPods are using an entirely different operating system/firmware and don't support the old disk mode at this time...
  4. rmagruder

rmagruder New Member

Thanks!

You're right, iPod Access can see my iPod touch just fine. Obviously the other apps that I tried could not.

Unfortunately, it looks like Red Chair is behind the curve in its support for the latest iPods, which is a shame because that's the software that I actually bought a few years back. So now I'm back to square zero, unless someone can tell me where there's a free iPod copy utility that works with the Touch.

Actually what I'm trying to do is get my tags in order...but it does seem like all the tag / album art fixing programs all work with on-disk libraries and not songs on the iPod itself. I wouldn't mind doing the tag fix-ups 'in-place' rather than copying to my laptop, fixing everything, then re-downloading them.