iTune's relationship with Touch 2G OS 3.0 after jailbreak?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by dvdqnoc, Sep 3, 2009.

1. dvdqnoc

dvdqnoc New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    • Illegal/piracy-related discussions
    So I have a 2G Touch OS 3.0 and I am thinking about jailbraking it via redsn0w.

My question is, in what way (if at all) will iTune's relationship with my Touch change after jailbreaking? In other words, what visible differences will be present when syncing my Touch with my iTunes after the jailbreak?

I am open to everything, but in particular, want to know about:
    1) Can you still purchase/download apps from iTunes app store and get charged your iTunes account normally as if it was not jailbroken?
    2) Will the cracked apps (apps only available when jailbroken) show up on the "apps" folder on the left-menu of iTunes? Will only the legit apps show up in there? How does that work?
    3) Right now, when I sync my Touch, it does an automatic backup before actually syncing my music and stuff. Will the still occur after jailbreaking? If so, what exactly will it back up... just the non-jailbreak files I'm assuming?
    4) If I ever regret the jailbreak, will restoring it turn my Touch back into what it was before it was jailbroken (i.e. an Apple tech agent wouldnt be able to tell it was jailbroken)
    5) If a newer OS is released, and I want it, can I just restore my iPod, download the OS, then re-jailbreak it afterwards (and redownload the cracked apps, I assume)?
  2. dat33

dat33 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Answers in bold
  3. alex2210

alex2210 New Member

edit: my answers arenĀ“t right
  4. DeamonFish

DeamonFish Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Well "Cracked apps" are illegal, you mean "jailbroken apps" (just a heads up)
    1 Yes
    2 No, it will only show your official Apple apps
    3 Yes, it will back up non-jailbroken (and stuff like battery percentage and carrier)
    4 Yeah, DFU restore
    5 Yes, well the jailbreak will take a while (for devs)

Hope this helped..

Sorry i made this the time dat33 was
  5. bamhm182

bamhm182 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Nothing with iTunes changes after you jailbreak. I can confirm this as I have jailbroken my 2G several times.

I agree completely with everything dat33 says here.

However, I have a few things to add.

2. IPAs aren't allow to be discussed here. They won't sync with iTunes. The app data(for most games) is backed up normally regardless of whether you did the right thing(purchased it) or not. Other than that, iTunes doesn't see cracked games.

4. Agreed. Apple supposedly has a device that will tell them if your iPod was ever jailbroken, but according to most people, they don't use it unless they need to. So you're more than likely safe. I have jailbroken my iPod a few times before and ATM it is unjailbroken. I personally couldn't tell that my iPod was previously jailbroken if I didn't know.

5.The dev team is pretty quick about jailbreaking, for the most part. Odds are that you'll be able to jailbreak it right away unless it is a major update or new device. Like I said in #2, cracked apps aren't to be discussed. Most people here look down on people who pirate games. I can understand the appeal behind pirating some of the more expensive games that don't have demos for a trial test. However, you should consider not ripping off the independent devs that have spent many hours of their time coding the application.

EDIT: Sorry if you meant Cydia apps. If you meant getting App Store apps for free, everything above stands.
  6. dvdqnoc

dvdqnoc New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Woops. I did not mean cracked apps as in illegally obtaining appls available in the app store.

I was referring to apps that are only available when the iPod is jailbroken, such as Insomnia.