itunes password prompt at ipod startup

Discussion in 'iTunes' started by richardcav, Feb 9, 2010.

1. richardcav

richardcav Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yesterday I started getting a password prompt when waking up my IPT3G after a sleep. This doesn't happen all the time. In fact, now that I'm composing this thread, I'm trying to recreate the "problem" and it works fine.

Doesn't it always happen that way? The searing stabbing pain in the chest radiating down the arm and up the jaw ALWAYS disappears the day of the doctor visit.

But anyway, I know it'll happen again, so what do you think could be causing this?

REMEMBER..I said, "when I wake it out of a sleep", not when I open itunes. I do know it now prompts for a PW upon entering itunes now. In fact, in both cases, I just hit ok and move on. I don't know why it requests one if it's not necessary.

Any ideas, Guys?
  2. Code Name_Raven

Code Name_Raven Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    It could be asking you to verify your account with iTunes so that you can transfer purchases. It's hard to tell from what you have explained. Maybe try to elaborate a bit.
  3. richardcav

richardcav Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    For instance, I just hit the top button to sleep it. When I hit it again to wake it, I got the Itunes password prompt, as if I had just tried to download an app.

The only thing I can guess is happening, is that it's trying to install a hanging app.

I got on this free app a day site and downloaded a couple of apps. The apps in Itunes Store display the faint greyed-out "installed" where there would have been a blue "free" button. But, the apps don't appear in my itunes applications list or on the ipod, itself (even when I use the spotlight search).

So, the only guess I have is that when I turn on the ipod, it is still trying to install those apps.

I've restored this ipod numerous times, but it has been glitchy since the firmware upgrade. I don't know if I should restore the ipod and return it for a new one? I'm tired of babysitting this thing.

If I was a doctor and my ipod was my patient, I'd give him meds to keep him comfortable and send him home to be with his loved ones.

The warranty is still good, but I don't know if Apple covers this sort of defect...if it IS a defect.
  4. jorge999

jorge999 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I have exactly the same problem as though there is an app open or installing or something. I thought it first it was a conflict between two iTunes accounts that I have but it seems not.

Anyone have similar, or better, a solution?
  5. Mr.Funman

Mr.Funman Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
  6. jorge999

jorge999 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    In addition to the problem above, I am finding that some nights my battery has drained and sometimes is empty before morning - its as though an app is open and draining power all night but nothing shows. Could this be linked to a Cydia program added after jailbreak?
  7. richardcav

richardcav Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I fixed mine. This is what I did:
    I began by restoring my iPod and loading the songs and apps back on the iPod (iPod is backed up automatically before restore).
    After everything was "back to normal", I went into iTunes on the computer, logged in to view the account, looked for updates and downloaded all apps that hadn't been downloaded all the way. I installed them and viola!*

This all began for me when I downloaded free apps featured on a website giving away free apps (appaday? Freeappaday?...??) directly to my iPod. A couple of the apps didn't download all the way, so a whole string of problems snowballed from there. I suppose you get what you pay for.

*I don't have access to my computer (typing this from my iPod), so I'm not definate on the verbal
    terms. Also, you may not need to do the restore. Try going to the store settings, look for the update function and download all apps not installed on the iPod. I'd done this before, but i didn't give it time to complete it and install the apps. Worse that can happen by skipping the restore step is that it doesn't work and you have to restore, anyway.

Please let me know what happens. I'm curious to know if restoring was a necessary step.

Hope this works for you...it did for me.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    By the way, it's not a cydia thing in my case. I'm not jailbroken.