iTunes on Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Linux' started by SHININGSTEEL, Apr 20, 2008.

1. SHININGSTEEL

SHININGSTEEL Banned

I'm planning on making a full transition to Ubuntu very soon and want to transfer all my songs and media from iTunes and iTunes itself onto my Linux computer. I have yet to download WINE. Can someone explain to me how to set this up completely. I want to have the ability to sync my iPod Touch as well.

Is there a way I can get Total Commander on there as well?
  2. weirdwilli

weirdwilli New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    Even with Wine its impossible to sync
  3. Parm289

Parm289 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Only option is to install windows in a vm, then install itunes in there. Again, no syncing.

Another option you might consider is transferring all your music via ssh, and then either playing it directly from your ipod or transferring it to your music library via MNPlight.

The above two options are if you want to aviod linux-based music apps at al times. The easiest way to sync music in linux (at least in ubuntu and its derivatives) is through amarok. Yo can read a help page at the ubuntu site (just search google) that tells yo how to set up your touch/iphone to work with amarok, and then you can sync wirelessly. Be careful, as the sync from amarok permanently destroyed my artwork cache - as in even after a restore, no album art will display/transfer, even from itunes in XP.

Good luck on the transition.
  4. SHININGSTEEL

SHININGSTEEL Banned

Please Register or Log in to view images

I'm just going to have to rely on Windows for all my iPod related stuff.
  5. Parm289

Parm289 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    If you're dual-booting, this isnt a problem. If you're going all-out linux, just use amarok. Once you set it up, it's realy easy to sync.
  6. pdedecker

pdedecker New Member

I've used my iPod touch with Linux for quite some time, and I strongly disrecommend it.

First of all: if you're gonna dump iTunes, you're gonna need to perform a jailbreak in order for it to work. It takes quite a lot of configuration actually.

Second thing: since there's no way to perform a sync using the USB port yet, you're gonna have to transfer all your files wirelessly. Believe me, it's SLOW as hell. Besides, this method requires you to install OpenSSH on your device. This application consumes an awful lot of battery life, even when you're not actually using it.

That's probably not what you wanted to hear though.

7. Andy Huang

Andy Huang Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    This is not available for public yet, but words have it that libusb, the one used in pwnage, is being ported for linux's file transfer over usb. If done proper, I think gtkPod will work awesome over USB

8. pdedecker

pdedecker New Member

That's just one of the drawbacks that is finally being fixed. (I do realise that this is due to Apple's restrictive policy though.) Here's another one: play counts and ratings don't function correctly when syncing your iPod using Linux.
  9. latinoheat69

latinoheat69 New Member

u can use ssh to transfer songs...ubuntu explains how in their website
    transfer your library with windows..after that just update through ssh in lnx
  10. Zee

Zee Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)

This isn't true. Artwork is fine when syncing through Amarok. I've been syncing with Linux for weeks now and have all my album artwork. Yes there are times when you can "lose" it, but it's easily recoverable in Linux.