iTunes hangs while creating a backup

Discussion in 'iTunes' started by Sophia, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Sophia

Sophia New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I have a little problem, hope I posted in the right thread. Recently I installed Windows 7 64 bits. Before I ran Windows 7 64 bits Release Candidate, so I had to reinstall from scratch.

I have a Touch G2 with software v3.0.2 (not jailbroken) and installed iTunes 64 bits, latest version. Of course I had to select "transfer purchases", which went well.

HOWEVER: here is my problem. Every time now that iTunes tries to create a backup of my Touch, the progress bar hangs at about 10% and no backup is created. I can click the little x to cancel it, and then it will sync iPod with iTunes.

However, since I had to install from scratch, I would really, really, REALLY like a proper backup of my iPod as well, since at the moment, I have none.

Does anybody know why the backup might hang at all, and has it happened before?

Thanks in advance

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. Sophia

Sophia New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Anybody? I deleted and reinstalled iTunes, deleted the partial backup, but no dice

My iPod is only 8 GB and only half full. Any ideas why it won't create a backup?
  3. Jabari

Jabari Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hi.
    1. Have you tried letting it sit for an hour or so?
    2. Does every other feature of iTunes work (is it running properly)?
    3. Do you have a backup file of the iPod somewhere else?

It'd be helpful if you'd answer those questions clearly, and to the best of your ability, to aid in the troubleshooting process.
    Also, try posting this on the Apple support forum, or if they have a live support line, call that.
  4. Sophia

Sophia New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hi Jabari, thanks so much for you reply

Actually, I solved the problem by formatting the complete iPod, and reinstalling all my apps again, and re-enter the settings. After that, backups worked flawlessly again. However, since you were kind enough to ask, I'll answer your questions all the same

1. Yes, I let it sit for 8 hours, and the progress bar had not moved. So, I think we can safely assume we had a problem

2. Yes, everything else worked both on iTunes and on my device. I am still baffled what was the problem!
    3. No, I did not... and I had to spend a few hours re-installing my apps, and re-entering the settings. However it was worth it in the end, at least my backups work now.

Thanks again, and I didn't even know Apple had a support forum. I'll try that next time

5. cainy

cainy New Member

Normally disabling backups and re-syncing fixes this, had it happen a few times on various setups...sometimes I think it doesnt like me when its having a hissy fit and transferring @ about 5kb/s lol