iTunes for Windows - A Sluggish Monstrosity

Discussion in 'iTunes' started by dogman, Nov 5, 2007.

1. dogman

dogman New Member

sorry if this is the wrong forum... might we add an iTunes sub-forum ?

The Touch is my fourth iPod - but I've been using Ephpod until now. Can someone explain why iTunes is so painfully slow in Windows? It doesn't behave lilke a normal Windows application - you can't even auto-tile it with other windows. Simply scrolling through your library is a chore. When you grab the scrollbar, it doesn't quite "grab" properly. Is this just the way it is? Is it just poor programming, or is this type of software inherently slow?
    Another example - you import a video into your library, but its a TV show. So you change the tags to a type of TV Show and enter the season, episode, etc. Sometimes it takes minutes to just update the tags! Crazy. Any insight ?
  2. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Hmm... My iTunes is nothing like that. It's not slow at all.

You want might want to try uninstalling/reinstalling to see if that makes any difference.
  3. dogman

dogman New Member

i'm pretty sure my install is good. my pc is not the latest and greatest, but its capable (P4, 2GB RAM). I don't have issues with any other applications.

You don't notice any weirdness when you grab the scrollbar? For example, if you load any long web page in IE or Firefox, grab the scrollbar, you can move up and down very quickly. When you try this in iTunes it sputters terribly...
  4. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Nope, I've never noticed that (and I always have iTunes running, no matter what else I'm doing) and I have over 15,000 songs in my Library.
  5. iStealth

iStealth New Member

I have about 3.5 GB of songs and 4 GB of movies in my library and have had no issues or sluggish performance either.
  6. iberras

iberras New Member

i also have some problems with itunes...its a little slow but nothing else the rest works fine

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. dazz456

dazz456 New Member

Never had a problem with iTunes, it may slow down if i am scrolling up and down my music list with album art shown, other than that no problems at all.
  8. TJd

TJd New Member

The only time my itunes is slow is when it first recognizing my touch. After that it runs completely fine.
  9. Masky64

Masky64 New Member

My iTunes is a bit slow since I have alot of songs on it. But there really should be an iTunes subforum.
  10. CyberPrime

CyberPrime New Member

yea, it will be a bit slow starting up and quiting if you have a lot of music.

It will also "stutter" as you said before, if you have a lot of music to go thru.