iTunes doesn't recognize iPod, iPod doesn't recognize music

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Schweinsfuß Nasenbeutler, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Schweinsfuß Nasenbeutler

Schweinsfuß Nasenbeutler New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    The title already says how much of a f*** up my iPod currently is. Before i write about the problem: if your answer is "maybe you should restore" please stop reading now. I already got this far, it's NOTan option.

Ok so basically what happened is:

-Was at my girlfriend's house, as it's a tethered jailbreak i needed to make it ra1n on her laptop

-All of a sudden her iTunes started syncing

-I immediatly canceled that

-Couldn't open MobileMusicPlayer.app anymore (crashes, doesn't even show reorganizing library or something)

-Other apps that relate to the music library don't work anymore either (Files however are findable in iFile)

-I kind of did what this gentleman and scholar wrote: http://coreygilmore.com/blog/2009/01/01/recovering-a-corrupt-itunes-db-on-an-iphone/

-I wanted iTunes to recreate my iTunes_Control/iTunes/ folder (as mentioned in the guide), this is when sh*t blew up:

iTunes doesn't recognize my iPod anymore

I already upgraded my iTunes, still doesn't work. Normally i can fix all my iPod related problems myself but this one's a a small problem with a titanium-nutshell.

So, dear community of ifans.com, please help me.

Yours sincerely

Schweinsfuß Nasenbeutler
  2. ipodtechsolutions

ipodtechsolutions New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Does the ipod get detected by windows? ie does it beep when you plug it in? Does it give you a drive that is the ipod? Im assuming not but you never know. Seems to me that if the computer that you connected it to isnt your normal computer and you dont have it synced with that computer that is possibly what caused it. When it started syncing it started to try and recognize the ipod, when you cancelled it itunes has more than likely screwed up the file system.
    Can I ask why restoring it isnt an option??? If you set it into DFU mode or as you might know it restore mode... manually then try connecting it to your computer it will detect the ipod in disk mode which is different to when you normally connect to the computer. Itunes will then say it has detected an ipod in restore mode and allow you to restore...
    To get the device into restore mode press and hold home and power button until the red slider shows to shutdown and continue to hold until it shuts off then release the power button but continue to hold home until you see the wire and connect to itunes. That may take a few attempts to get it right so be patient. Then try connecting to your own computer and see if its detected.
    If that doesnt work uninstall itunes, restart the computer and install itunes again, and repeat the process above.
    If it still fails to detect the ipod in restore mode then the problem is more than likely going to be a case of its screwed! Ive had a few ipods that have been in that situation and the above works to get them out of it, however if the ipod was not properly disconnected you could have shorted some connections in the port and then the ipod is screwed.
    If you still have wifi there might be a way you can access it and get the data replaced. Does it have openssh installed and have you tried to access it by Winscp?
    Without more info I cant help you past that.
    Regards
  3. Schweinsfuß Nasenbeutler

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Thanks for this over-night reply, (well at least where I live).
    First of all: My iPod is being recognized by the PC, (dang windows live hardware manager popping up and that camera recognition tool as well: interesting is that itunes opens when it gets plugged in but it doesn't recognize it.

Yes its my normal pc but as you i mentioned above it "started" syncing with my girlfriend's itunes. After that it still synced with my pc but well, not anymore.

Does anyone know what the file is that iTunes is looking for when iPods are plugged in?
    (I own 2 iPod touches, don't ask...) this one is 32GB and other one 8 so you might see why i want this fixed.

Next thing is: it's stats are maxed. It has everything a good all-round-tool needs. I even buy a lot of cydia apps like iFile and yes it has SSH and i also have iPhone Browser for USB-Access.

Further infos I might need: Do all files in that folder need mobile:mobile and chmod of 0664?

As i said: I don't wont a restore. First of all I'm not sure if my Cydia got signed when i tried. Second thing is: As long as geohot's new jailbreak isn't out i don't want to restore in case i need to go on 3.1.3 ( I assume it will also jailbreak 3.1.3?!) and for real: I don't only use this as a toy. It manages literally everything i do, without jailbreak it's a toy again and pretty much useless to me. Last but not least: there are so many file's edited and custom files placed on my device. I simply can't restore. I'd have to work days to get everything back the way it was.

I hope you guys can help me.
    Much love...

Edit: Additional Info
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [​IMG]
    The first window shows everything in green.
    Clicking on the help button brings me to this page:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1369?viewlocale=en_US
    (OMFG, how helpful!)

I'm pretty sure that the problem is my device (or at least what i did to it) plugged into my mothers pc, isn't being recognized (however when its in dfu for blackrain itunes knows there's an ipod) Also tried 2 different cables to connect, both make it load and recognize it.

Interesting fact: i replaced the complete iTunes_Control/iTunes Folder with the one from my other iPod except for a blank iTunesDB file. iTunes still won't recognize it.
  4. Schweinsfuß Nasenbeutler

Device:
    3G iPod touch
  5. ipodtechsolutions

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hi
    The problem you have is a complex one... btw Im in France Im guessing you are in Germany? Im just a night owl :D lol

I cant help you with the file for syncing, Im a windows person and Mac OS isnt my forte. However if all else fails you can try the below procedure to get it back to Jail broken 3.1.2. (do bear in mind that if something is wrong with the ipods port this procedure could brick your ipod!!!so only try as a last resort!!!)

Now to Jailbreak your device again I would take note of this site http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/ You can download the official firmware for your device here and use to restore after you have answered this question.... Did you do a backup of the device on your machine??? If so then you might not be stuck. You would have to check this as Ive not really looked into it but the data and settings you setup might be backed up in a backup.
    If this is the case I recommend you do the restore using the 3.1.2 firmware from the site above. Now to do that you will need:
    1 x USB storage device
    1 x Blackrain
    1 x Firmware for your device (from site above 3.1.2)
    All of your apps in .ipa format, If they are in itunes then the location is C:\Users\Owner\Music\iTunes\Mobile Applications, mac = ~/Music/iTunes/Mobile Applications/ if you dont have all of these then you will have to see if you can get them off via WinSCP locations you will have to research as I dont have them to hand atm. You might also want to back up all of the themes and other stuff via winSCP as well, find the locations of all this stuff by searching on google, remember these locations as well!
    I always have a list of the things Ive installed and liked so I can always get them back if things go mental! Remember that for future use.

Copy all of that to the USB storage device. Then take it to another computer install the latest itunes. Put the device into DFU mode and get itunes to recognise it. When itunes says its detected an Ipod in recovery mode do not allow it to check. Then shift click on Restore and a Window with the option to select firmware from file appears. Go to where ever you have put the Files on the USB and select the 3.1.2 firmware file you downloaded. That will then go through the process of reinstalling the firmware to the device. Once complete, select manually manage music, deselect sync apps, and everything else. Jailbreak using blackrain... details of which you will have to look up.
    Drag and drop all of the ipa's from the USB to the applications window in itunes. Dont sync just yet. Go into Cydia install the apps you had that were free like sbsettings etc... (this requires you to remember what you had) Install them all. Install one free app from itunes store, facebook, google earth etc...
    that will put the app in itunes apps.
    Sync the ipod apps manually. All of the apps will be put back onto your device. Install openssh via cydia, ftp to your device again and restore all of the settings/themes you had to the locations you remembered from earlier.
    Next eject the ipod from that machine, go back to your own machine, open itunes, deselect auto sync and put it in manual manage and then plug it in, it should now be recognised. When it does you will need to restore the backup from your computer. I cant remember how to do that but again a simple search will solve the problem.
    Once the backup has been put back onto the ipod and you should, I hope have everything you had before! But again just make sure what the backup actually stores when it backs up your device, (a search on google again) hey presto all done :D
    Hope it helps.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    oh hang on Ive just seen you have an iphone!!! The Jailbreak will be different to blackrain for that device so please be aware. You will need to double check which jailbreak program you need for that I dont have an iphone. I took your ipod that you had under your name but forgot you had 2
  6. Volcomstone000095

Volcomstone000095 Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Put your iPod into DFU mode by holding the power and home button until the apple logo appears and then release the power button until your computer recognizes the ipod. YOU MUST DO THIS WHILE IT PLUGGED INTO THE COMPUTER. Then try to restore your iPod from a backup.
  7. ipodtechsolutions

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hi
    Volcomstone even though you are correct this guy wants the device to be fixed without having to do a restore as he has all his data and settings on it. Restoring it on his own computer will cause problems with the backup. Its not necessary to do the DFU while plugged into the computer you can put it into DFU without it being connected. Its just difficult to do so because it wont make the sounds of connected disconnected. Restoring it on his own computer wont help because his data is stored in the jailbreak of the device and by doing so it wont restore from a backup as itunes will refuse to copy the data back to the device. So its best to do it on another computer and then jailbreak set it up to how it was and then restore the backup. The only thing Im unsure of is whether the backup stores the data from the apps that are jailbroken. I would have thought so but you never know and Ive never tried it.