ITunes DB: .mddata and .mdinfo

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by lebrocoli, May 20, 2010.

1. lebrocoli

lebrocoli New Member

Hi,

I just bought a new laptop and was wondering how to sync my ipod touch with the new laptop.

I have read threads on how to transfer music and so on but I am thinking in a more general manner here.

I have made a copy of all the .mddata and .mdinfo files that are created when you sync.

I thought, if I copy the last set of these files and I somehow instruct ITunes on the new laptop to use these files as a start syncing point, maybe it would work?

Somebody knows what I mean?

Am I obliged to re-download on the new ITune all the apps that I have on the IPod ?

Thanks
  2. Psyko

Psyko Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't you just sync your iPod to make it transfer all your stuff? Your purchases will be available from iTunes when you log in to your account.
  3. lebrocoli

lebrocoli New Member

Well, if you try to sync, it says something like "The ITune library is currently empty. Are you sure you want to sync? It will replace the library with the empty one".

Well, the best way that I have found to re-inject the apps into ITunes is to right-click on your Ipod within ITunes and select "Transfer Purchases".

At least, this takes care of the apps portion. That said, for the songs and videos, that is another story.

All in all, seems like these .mddata and .mdinfo files are pretty useless.

Thanks for your time.