iTunes cannot read or write to iPod

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by lilgreenmike@gmail.com, Sep 29, 2009.

1. lilgreenmike@gmail.com

lilgreenmike@gmail.com New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    ok, so i reset my Vista laptop to its factory settings (so everything was erased, re-formatted) and i installed all the updates from microsoft. Then i installed the latest iTunes from apple site. I turn on my ipod touch and connect it to the usb port on my laptop. iTunes opens up and my ipod is recognized and the little ipod tab loads on iTunes (where it displays your ipods information). I go to the Music tab and check Music so that it will sync all my music. Then i press Sync to start the syncing process, obviously. iTunes begins to sync but a few seconds in, an error message pops up. It says that iTunes is unable to read or write to my device. The problem is not with the ipod touch because it is able to sync on other computers, just not this laptop. I've never had this problem before on this laptop. It just happened. I know its not any programs I installed because, i havent installed any, remember, my laptop is at factory settings plus with latest updates. So the problem lays within the laptop. But what could be causing it? Are there any ways to fix it? I dont think its my usb ports because im still able to sync my Creative Zen mp3 player... any ideas?
  2. _-..zKiLLA..-_

_-..zKiLLA..-_ New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I dont use sync because i have a butt load of music but i thought you were only able to sync with one computer? and that computer isn't your laptop so thats why your getting an error. i could be wrong.
  3. nanou

nanou New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    You can sync with more than one computer but i think its only for devices that are jailbreaked.

Did you used the same version of itunes that you used to... Maybe thats the problem try downgrading ur itunes I had similar problem and it worked 4 me.
  4. lilgreenmike@gmail.com

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    zkilla
    hmm yea you can only "sync" with one computer. If you try to do so with another computer, it WILL let u do it, but it will replace all data. but nonetheless, it is able to sync with other computers successfully. my laptop is the main computer i use to sync though and it worked previously but for some reason its not anymore...

nanou
    my ipod is not jailbroken. hmm and i already do have the same itunes version.
  5. angryporkchop

angryporkchop New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Do you have a wireless mouse and keyboard?? If so try to unplug them right after you press the sync button. If you haven't already go to control panel and check on updates for drivers. I have the same problem and will tell you if I find a fix. Idk for you but for me I can sync only apps. Videos/podcasts and music will not sync. I'm thinking about trying to sync just certain songs and playlists to see if that works. Problem for me is it syncs everything but then gives me the error, at the very end of the sync.
  6. cOde0010Joy

cOde0010Joy Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    try re-authorizing your computer for the ipod??
  7. angryporkchop

angryporkchop New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Still having problems for me...not sure about the OP.
    OP: Does it still come up with that error as soon as you try to sync? Because for me, after I completely sync everything it comes up and I lose all my stuff =(.
  8. deepower

deepower New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    wow thats a pretty unusual problem, kudos for you

Please Register or Log in to view images

anyways. i guess you have to restore your ipod (and re-jailbreak it if it was broken) to wipe all the sync history etc.. If you cant restore it on the one that is formatted, try another computer. Or simply take the installition exe with you in a flash disk and go to an internet cafe.

Hope it can solve your problem!!
  9. lilgreenmike@gmail.com

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    angryporkchop
    i dont use wireless mouse or keyboards. As for driver updates, which drivers would you suggest checking? As for syncing, from the two computer that i use (my laptop and my desktop computer), they both let me sync everything (from music, videos, apps, etc). The problem is that when i sync to my laptop, it will sync for a while then it will display a pop up window saying "could not read or write to device". then ONCE it actually synced without the pop up error, and i was surprised, but when i looked at the photos on my iPod, they were all distorted and the music as well (when u played them, it would skip and stuff). I contacted Apple and they told me to restore the ipod and stuff, but when i was trying to restore it on laptop, it restored "successfully" but when it booted up, it was stuck on recovery mode. Oh and my laptop is running Vista, while my desktop comp. is on XP. But like i said before, syncing wasnt a problem on my Vista before.

cOde0010Joy
    hmm i think i did that a while back, and it didnt work still.

At the moment, i am just using my desktop computer to sync with my iPod successfully. Some people have suggested that it could be a problem with the Vista Home on my laptop. Others suggested the USB ports or the cable (i tried it with a new iPod USB cable and no luck there). All Apple said at the end was to not use my laptop for syncing, period. -_- but at this rate, i think they are right...
  10. aaron1006

aaron1006 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I had like an identical problem, after restoring vista My iPod did the same thing, only way i can get it to work is to turn off all security features for the sync then it works fine