Itunes Cannot Read Contents of Ipod BIG PROBLEM

Discussion in 'iTunes' started by freakalleeek, Jun 6, 2009.

1. freakalleeek

freakalleeek New Member

Hi i have a really long problem so bare with me xD

So all of a sudden today when i plug ipod into itunes, a message pops up saying that iTunes cannot read the contents of my ipod, and suggests that i restore. I google this problem up, and a thread on this website tells me to access the files in my jailbroken ipod touch and to delete var/media/iPod_Control. So I go on MobileFinder and do exactly what it says. I restart my iPod and plug it into the computer. To my suprise, it actually reads my iPod and gives me a screen asking if i want to back up or to set up my ipod. Since i have never synced on this computer before, i chose set up my iPod and checked it to sync my music library back onto it (i used WinAmp iPod plugin to copy the songs on my ipod to my itunes). WinAmp could read my iPod but Itunes couldnt...wierd? SO ANYWAYS, it takes me to the iPod summary screen while the songs are syncing. Then i message pops up saying that i dont have enough room on my ipod. I look down at the colorful bar on the bottom of the itunes that shows how much disc space you have left. It says that i have 1 gig in apps but then 4.x gig in OTHER?! I dont know where all of the "OTHER" content came from but now iTunes says i only have 696 MB left on my ipod which is clearly limiting me from syncing the 4 gig of music and videos that i have on my iTunes.

Does anyone else have this problem?

or does anyone know if i did anything wrong?

Please help me, I dont want to have to restore because i have a lot of important settings and files in my ipod that cant be backed up.

Thanks
  2. tune09

tune09 New Member

Though not exactly the same I had to face a lot of trouble with my brand new iPod nano few days back. I was unable to download songs or transfer them to my pc. As I am not a very tech savvy I was utterly confused and didn't know how to resolve the matter. Finally my friend asked me to visit http://www.supportonclick.com. As I did my problem was solved within a minute. The staffs out there immediately detected the problem and solved it. I think you should do the same. Hopefully they will be able to help you out of this problem.
  3. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Found something that worked. Found this article:\

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20070724011824701

The problem was a corrupted file that Itune made in the Ipod. So, here's what I did, KEEP IN MIND, I HAD NO DATA ON THE IPOD WHEN I DID THIS:

Open up the directory of your IPOD: In my case, ours was K\: IPOD.

Locate the folder called iPod Control. (It is a hidden folder so you may need to go to Tools - Folder Options - View and tell your computer to 'Show hidden files'.)

Click on the iPod Control folder and search for another folder called iTunes (also hidden). DELETE this folder.

Unplug the Ipod. Give it a few seconds. Then plug the USB cord back in.

Started Itunes up and the error message went away! Everything works well.

Hope this helps you too! Good luck!!!
  4. iKeirNez

iKeirNez Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thanks this worked! I did this on a iPod Touch 2G 4.1. It is a little differant I deleted the whole iPod_Control folder and I am re-syncing the music!

EDIT: Although I think I should have only deleted the music one as it is asking me to sync the apps again.

In the sync apps bit it is unticked but if I tick it I have reselect all the apps otherwise they will be deleted.

Anyways I will fix this later!
  5. TheSleuthSloth

TheSleuthSloth Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Bump:
    I deleted iTunes_Control in the /var/mobile/Media folder.
  6. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    obvious question: have you tried restarting your computer and trying a different usb cable?
  7. firesfly

firesfly New Member

new solution

hi every body
    i was have this problem and i think i have solve it
    there is my methode
    1-use CopyTransManager.exe (free software) to delete any music file and click update in this software
    2-this is it .new open iTunes and it will recognize your Idevise
    thank you and excuse my English