iTunes cannot locate file?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Cannuck, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Cannuck

Cannuck New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hi,

I just received my first every iPod for Xmas and to be honest I don't know very much about them so I have a question that may seem simple to some people here on the forum.

Anyway, I started coping all my CDs and my hard drive ran out of room so so I purchased a 1TB external HD.

I tranfered all my music files from the C drive to the new external drive.

Then I changed the preferences in the advance menu to:

G:\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music

Any new music I download works just fine in iTunes but the music that was on my C drive prior cannot be found by iTunes. It says that iTunes cannot play it because it cannot be located.

There must be a setting or something I can change so that iTunes knows where to go to find my old music? I don't want to put it back on my C drive.

I have't tried to sync my iPod again because I'm worried that something bad will happen to it.

Any suggestions? Am I going to have more issues as a result of this change over to the new external HD?

Thanks in advance.

CS
  2. Jacob

Jacob Well-Known Member

Your music is still on your C drive, try moving it to your other drive and deleting it from your library. Then import it again, that should fix it.
  3. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    Have you done the "Consolidate Library" yet?
  4. Cannuck

Cannuck New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    No I didn't consolidate or try any of these functions,... all I did was copy the entire folder and paste it into my new drive,.. then deleted the music that was in the iTunes folder,.. I didn't delete the folder on the C drive, just the music,... but it is all there safe and sound on my new external drive but iTunes doesn't seem to know that.

I suppose I shouldn't have done that huh?
  5. maxam

maxam Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Why dont you copy your music back to the c drive and check if that works. If it could locate the tracks already then consolidate.