iTunes broke my iPod!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Jake17T, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Jake17T

Jake17T New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hi, I decided to write this because I haven't managed to find any solutions to my problems anywhere else.
    Today I am just back from apple with a new iPod that they gave me as a replacement after my old one had just flat out broken and I was gutted to find that the same thing has happened again.
    I'll start by explaining what happened to the first iPod. One day the iPod stopped showing any music in it's library but still showed the space used on the disc and when I plugged it into the computer iTunes told me that there was an error with it and that it needed to be restored. I proceed to follow the instructions on screen and begin the recovery mode. At this point it gets about half way through before I get the error that it cannot be restored. Now I attempt it again although this time it says that it is successful and that I was to leave my iPod plugged in and iTunes would then recognize it. After much waiting with nothing apparent happening I unplug the device and plug it back in only to get a message from windows saying that the usb I have inserted has malfunctioned and iTunes now failing to detect it. Now the situation with the iPod itself is that it has become completely unresponsive; black screen, no matter how long i hold down any of the buttons it fails to respond and anything after this is useless. So after having resigned myself to the fact that it's broken and my warranty should cover it I take it to apple and they agree to replace it saying that it was probably hardware failure.

So today I bring it home and I choose the option to set the new iPod up from the back up of my old iPod as to keep all of the settings. Initially when it starts syncing it got all of the apps on and began working through the songs and I started getting the error something like "cannot read or write to disc" this seemed to be solved in short term by just replugging it in but only to get the error again after another number of songs. I'd like to note that all music and apps on the iPod up to this point work completely fine it's just that it all hadn't been synced yet. Now I was getting sick of this new error and I (foolishly and naively) opted to restore it to factory settings and forget about the backup and just treat it as a brand new iPod. So what do you know? I get an error telling me halfway through that it can't be restored (error (6)) I try twice more and on the second attempt I get the same error message but with a different error number (9). This is where i'm at right now, after that last attempt the iPod has been rendered useless just like the last one. Right now the common factor here seems to be iTunes restore but i'm just not sure.

One last thing I'd like to add is that interestingly that whilst plugged in if I hold the two buttons down for around 7-8 seconds I'll get a disconnect and reconnect sound but it doesn't actually do anything on the device and just brings up Window's usb device error again.

Sorry this post was so long

Please Register or Log in to view images

and I don't know how much of it is just waffle but I hope someone can bear with me and perhaps shed some light on this problem.

Thanks much appreciated.

2. deadlyvirus

deadlyvirus New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    If its broken, taks it back in
    If not, DFU restore
  3. Jake17T

Jake17T New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Ok, it just seems too much of a coincidence that both iPods would break in the same manner especially a new one and it saves me anhours drive to apple aswell.
    How do i do a DFU restore? Is that still possible considering there is really no input that you can put in at either end?
  4. nanou

nanou New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Dont restore your new ipod with the old one's backup
    If the old one had problems on it you just transfer whatever was causing your first ipod to crash to your new one. Maybe SBsettings problems...
    Not good you should just play safe and restore as new one and redownload your apps
  5. 00Svo

00Svo Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    What he said^^^
    and try maybe using a different computer and redownloading/installing itunes
  6. iTouchCast

iTouchCast New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    newly restore it, NOT with a backup !
  7. xEmmax

xEmmax New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I think a similar/same thing happened to me.

My first ipod broke about 6 months ago due to water damage (this is revelant later!) 2 months ago I finally get a new one as birthday present. All fine till I get a new laptop, re-install intunes transfer music across, works fine one day, then the next all my music dissapears from my library. Itunes tells me to restore which I do but then suddenly mid-way the ipod cuts off goes black totally unresponsive. Suddenly USB device malfunction baloon pops up. It's the same in my old laptop

Anyway so I'm sat all depressed at how I've lost a second ipod, then by chance pick up my old one and plug it in just to see - and miracles it works :O - not longer does intunes says it's unreadable all my musics back, even the touch screen has returned to function and while it was a little slow I'm very happy. All fine till this evening, I've had it plugged in charging (I've not erased and synced it to the new itunes, just plugged it in for charging), unplug it and what do you know my library's empty. Error pops up on itunes 'this device can't be read'
    Alarm bells ring this is exactly what happened yesterday.

I don't know what to do, too scared to plug it in again 'cus what happened last time. I'm just de-installing then re-installing itunes to see what difference that makes