Itunes becoming a memory hog again

Discussion in 'iTunes' started by pwnthe2G, Oct 1, 2010.

1. pwnthe2G

pwnthe2G Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Up until itunes 10, itunes was becoming less and less of a memory hog, and now that i have upgraded it, i seem to have no memory left on my computer, it is at 102,000 kb + where it used be to below eighty thousand. and this is when it isnt syncing,downloading,or even playing music, when i do anything within itunes it jumps to 150,00 sometimes, and it never drops back down. does anyone else have these issues? and i call it an issue because my computer has very little RAM and itunes sucks it all down
  2. tinyman392

tinyman392 Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    Hm... iTunes has always been a memory hog when I've been using it. But the really old ones barely use any... Upgrade your RAM, it's really worth it, or get a new computer. You can also try VM.
  3. pwnthe2G

pwnthe2G Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    yeah it always was, it just seems like apple's code is really terrible every time they put out a new itunes (8 to 9 and 9 to 10) and it slowly gets better. but i dont understand how that could be since it doesnt seem to be completely reworked, just less colors and ping
  4. XxRedRumxX

XxRedRumxX Well-Known Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    My (older) computer is having the same issue. I had iTunes 9.something installed on it an it would take about 20 sec to open and maybe 10 sec transitions. but until i updated it to iTunes 10 it takes about 1 min to load and like 5hr transitions
  5. pwnthe2G

pwnthe2G Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    yeah i have a gig of RAM, but after windows XP loads and chrome(which is rather small RAM wise) as well as itunes, im running low. and if i try to sync my ipod? forget abt it, i have to plan my computer time around my slow USB 1.0 sync speeds and no RAM during that time
  6. XxRedRumxX

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    ur lucky you even have 1GB. I only have 512MB

Please Register or Log in to view images

Please Register or Log in to view images

!!!
  7. tinyman392

tinyman392 Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    Well, Apple keeps adding more features to iTunes... More features = more RAM usage. They want you to be able to get to things instantly... So they don't delete anything from RAM.
  8. austers

austers Well-Known Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Apple makes iTunes crappy on purpose for Windows.
  9. XxRedRumxX

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    i figured that out when i hackintoshed my netbook
  10. Ddms

Ddms New Member

Hoggin'

I have iTunes 10 running in XP with 200Gb memory, and my computer becomes unusable whenever iTunes is downloading a podcast or playing a video. EVERYTHING LOCKS UP!

Sometimes I can't even open or close Task Manager. It's showing that iTunes is using 50-60% of my CPU, and System Idle Process is using the rest. When this happens, the only way to get my computer back is to restart it. Of course, it won't shut down normally.

I have been advised to remove any unneeded programs from my Startup menu, but I don't know which programs are "unneeded." Regardless, it seems like 200Gb RAM ought to be able to handle iTunes along with a few unneeded programs.

I have PLENTY of disk space. I have re-installed iTunes. I've uninstalled McAfee and installed Microsoft Security Essentials, turning off real time virus scanning for iTunes. I've also changed my System settings to give Background and Cache priority over programs. I've also tried different page file settings. None of this has resulted in any improvement.

Knowing that Apple deliberately made a bad program, or whatever, won't help. I'm desperate to get this thing working right. Any suggestions?