iTunes and Touch Question

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by OldSalt, Dec 6, 2008.

  1. OldSalt

    OldSalt New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2008
    Messages:
    22
    Likes Received:
    0
    I have a new iPod Touch and am accessing iTunes8. OK, there's the background.

    A friend in Eastern Europe sent me a number of songs in MP3 format which are unavailable here in the US. They play fine through Windows Media Player and I've burned them to CD to play in the car with no problems. I've renamed them in a folder on my PC with the format <artist name> - <song title> .mp3 and everything's fine, right?

    An example would be "Boris Badenoff - We Must Get Moose and Squirrel.mp3"

    When I try to add them to my Library so I can use them on my iPod, all hell breaks loose. I get weird characters in the fields, or stuff like "Track 10" in the name field and/or blanks in the artist field.

    I just want them to transfer and keep the title the same as on my PC, like I've described the naming convention above.

    What's the trick?
  2. .xLr8™

    .xLr8™ New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2008
    Messages:
    1,396
    Likes Received:
    0
  3. Steaps

    Steaps New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2007
    Messages:
    5,074
    Likes Received:
    41
    Device:
    iPod touch
    Please don't re post the same thread with another title because no one answered.
    http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119113
    And no there is no simple way, you need to manually re-name them yourself. Although i have never ripped any CD's through iTunes.
  4. OldSalt

    OldSalt New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2008
    Messages:
    22
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hey, at least I got a response here, even if it's an "I don't know" which I will take came from someone who is knowlegeable about what I'm seeking information on. I thought there might be an easy and obvious answer that I just wasn't aware of.

    I'm an old schooler who has CDs dating well back into the 80s and most of what I have in electronic format comes from having ripped a large CD collection. I have about 28Gb of mp3 files. I burn CDs for the car but thought the iPod would be a more efficient way to transport and listen to it all.

    I've found a solution to the question I was asking. It works in Windows and since I'm not a Mac person I can't say how it might work there. In Explorer, click on the file, select properties, and there there are two tabs -General and Summary. The first field from General can be copied over to the Title field on the Summary tab. When the songs are added to the Library and synched, what appears in that Title field will show for the song on the iPod.

    I have about 750 Russian songs that I want to load for my wife. Switching to a Cyrillic menu didn't work and the song titles still appeared as garbage characters. What I have as titles are a transliteration into the Roman alphabet but it works for her to see what is there. Fixing 750 files will take a little bit of time but a quick copy-n-paste for each file is better than retyping the information. I should be able to finish it all in an hour or two.

    Thanks.

    Old Salt
  5. Bazuny

    Bazuny New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2008
    Messages:
    280
    Likes Received:
    2
    Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I'm guessing you don't have the Russian language pack on your computer.
  6. OldSalt

    OldSalt New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2008
    Messages:
    22
    Likes Received:
    0
    I do but suspect something was screwy with the way the files were named when I received them. I could never get the text to appear right in Cyrillic.

Share This Page