Itunes and dvd drive not working whilst both installed???

Discussion in 'iTunes' started by darryl_marshall, Nov 5, 2007.

1. darryl_marshall

darryl_marshall New Member

without me complicating things i get a error code 10 on device manager on my patop and it deesnt pick up the dvd/cd drive i saw on a thread i had to remove itunes

I have removed itunes and restarted my computer everything was fine i then reinstalled intunes, still fine, then today when i turn computer back on I have the same problem all over again

seems i cant run both together surely there is a fix for this
  2. cowboyshootist

cowboyshootist New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    What type of computer do you have? What version of the OS? Do you have the latest drivers for the CD/DVD device? What other applications are you running that might be intefering?

Your best bet is to stop all applications from running, including your virus scanner, reinstall the drivers and iTunes. Reboot and see what happens. If you still have the problem you might try eliminating some of the other applications to see if there is a conflict. I would reboot and stop every application that wasn't absolutely essential and then start them one by one until you see the problem.
  3. JeffS

JeffS Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    This sounds very similar to an issue I've been experiencing, though I haven't had to remove itunes from the machine.

If it matters, here's the setup
    Compaq V2000
    WinXP Pro SP2
    1 GB ram
    AMD Turion64

If iTunes is running, my computer will hang when trying to access the DVD drive.
    iTunes will attempt to be the default player, and there is no option in it to ignore the
    drive at all. Very annoying issue with the software if you ask me.

When this happens, my computer will either hang, and require a physical reboot, and that has to be done by forcing the power down. Or, the rest of the OS will not recognize that the drive exists. The hang will occur when another program tries to access it. Since I'm using Slysofts AnyDVD to facilitate ripping my movies for my Touch, this is a bit of a problem.

I've gotten the system down to basically running itunes only when I'm ready to sync up.

Don't know of this will help your problem, but it could be a bit better than resintalling everything.

I think it has to do with how itunes grabs the hardware and refuses to let go. I haven't had a chance to poke around and see if there is a config file that offers settings that aren't in the gui. I'm not hopeful though. Hey, worst case, grab vmware and run itunes by itself over there.

Please Register or Log in to view images

I might actually do this when I redo my OS install.

-Jeff
  4. darryl_marshall

Sorry OS??

I have a toshiba sateliet a100 or something, windows vista basic I had no idea what the isse was till i read this forum
    http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=705418&page=2

I have used itunes before on this computer as well as the disc drives no problems, only recent it has done this

So i uninstalled itunes restarted my computer then my drives appered and worked fine
    I then reinstalled itunes sill no problem, it was only after turning my computer of again and back on yesterday the driver had dissapeared, popping a dics in does nothing and in device manger it wont let me reinstall the drives because of this code 10 error
  5. darryl_marshall

anyone????????
  6. darryl_marshall

still getting nowhere with thid
  7. darryl_marshall

I am still having the issue of not having disc drive and itune working together

someone must know somwthing?
  8. liquidsmoke

liquidsmoke New Member

wow, ive been having some dvd drive problems also and ive been trying to track down what the problem is. The problems started around the same time i installed itunes but i didnt put 2&2 together.
    The problem i get is when i try to open the disk thats in the drive, the window pops open and immediately closes. I cant access the contents of the drive at all through explorer. I created a network share for the drive and i can access it fine that way, so that tells me something is actively trying to stop me from opening the drive the normal way.

The work around ive been doing is, going into device manager and uninstalling the drive, once thats done, let windows reinstall it and it seems to work fine for a while. Rebooting does nothing. Ill do a test later to see if killing the itunes processes has the same effect.