iTunes 9.0.1 and redsn0w 0.8/0.7 - not working??

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 3.0 Jailbreak' started by Darlyn, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Darlyn

Darlyn Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    redsn0w black screen after "Done!" prompt, jailbreak data not installed, no Cydia

Today I finally decided to try out 3.0. Restored to the iPod1,1_3.0_7A341 package, and went through the redsn0w 0.8 process only to find that my device was not jailbroken. Neither Cydia nor Icy, both of which were checked-off, are present.

During the process of jailbreaking, the screen goes white, followed by black. Neither the iconic pineapple graphic nor the "Installing ramdisk" icon with the green arrow and hard drive appear, and the device remains at the black screen until I reboot it.

The same thing happens with 0.7 as well.

Edit:

Also happens with a fresh install.

Please Register or Log in to view images

... this occurred to others as well: http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203764
  2. Dabone

Dabone Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Only install cydia. There was a problem if you installed both.
  3. Darlyn

Darlyn Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Same happens. Even with the 0.7 release of reds0w. Could iTunes 9.0.1 be the cause of my issues?
  4. Dabone

Dabone Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Maybe, but doubt full. Try restoring again, rerun redsn0w. If that doesn't work, rerun it again. Same thing happened to me when I tried to jailbreak my ipod.
  5. Darlyn

Darlyn Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I guess I'll restore again then. Could it be the firmware bundle? The iPod1,1_3.0_7A341 I used was the only one listed for my 1G Touch, and the "iPod1,1" is presumably its identifier.
  6. Dabone

Dabone Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Go to run
    type in "%APPDATA%" without quotationd
    go to Apple Computer
    Itunes
    iPod Software updates
    None should be there
    If there is, tell me how you got the ipsw for redsn0w to find.
  7. Darlyn

Darlyn Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I got it from the various sources the internet provides :| . I have used this source since the days of 1.1.1, so they are trusted.
  8. Dabone

Dabone Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Did u pay?
  9. Darlyn

Darlyn Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    May I also add that I'm restoring from a backup of my 2.x profile. I would try doing a fresh install, but I don't feel like reconfiguring everything all over again.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Sorry to double post, but even attempting it on a fresh install (meaning "Setup as new iPod" in iTunes) results in the same black screen at the end and no real jailbreak. I also just discovered this has nothing to do with iTunes 9, as someone else posted the same query way back in June: http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203764
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    OK, I finally solved this. Turns out somehow that certain drivers interfere with the kernel upload. Booting into Safe Mode allows the process to go smoothly, as only the essential stuff is loaded. All is fine now.