iTunes 8 for Vista 64bit fails to install entirely.

Discussion in 'iTunes' started by EmeraldICE, Sep 22, 2008.

1. EmeraldICE

EmeraldICE New Member

To start off, I got iTunes 8 within the first few hours it was released and everything was working fine up until now.
    Last night, I synced my Touch and it turned into an iPhone. It had the sms icon, the phone app, it said "No Service", etc. It looked exactly like an iPhone. After, that it wouldn't show up in iTunes at all. I put it in DFU mode and restored it through iTunes but it still restored as an iPhone. I also tried deleting the old restore file, downloading a new one, and then restoring, but once again it restored as an iPhone.

I figured it was a problem with iTunes so I uninstalled it completely and then downloaded the 64 bit file for Vista off of apple.com. During the reinstall, I noticed it rolling back during the part where it was supposed to install Mobile Device Support and at the very end of the install, it says "Windows Installer has stopped working" and crashes.
    iTunes itself was still installed though, so I opened it up and plugged in my Touch but it popped up and said I didn't have the required software. (Obviously that would be Mobile Device Support that won't install)

SOO, I tried reformatting my entire computer. I thought it might be a registry fault or something since iTunes is so hard to get rid of entirely.
    So after the reformat, before I did anything else, I downloaded 64 bit iTunes and tried to install it, but I got the exact same error.

It's like their 64 bit version is broken or something..
    I think it might not be affecting too many people because a lot of people got iTunes 8 when it first came out.
    I don't know...
    I did notice that it doesn't even run in 64bit.
    It says "iTunes *32"
  2. iPTF_BROWSER

iPTF_BROWSER Active Member

Device:
    HTC One
    Jeez you reformatted your computer because of that? You need to install the iTunes 7.7 AppleMobileDevice. Download it here
    This is the full version of iTunes 7.7 (32bit) Open the exe file with winrar and extract the AppleMobileDevice file and install it.
  3. EmeraldICE

EmeraldICE New Member

It's not that big of a deal. I keep heavy backups of everything. I actually like starting off fresh!
    Thanks a bunch though, I'll try it.

EDIT: Thank you

Please Register or Log in to view images

That worked perfectly!
  4. jrok18

jrok18 New Member

I uninstalled Apple mobile device , bonjour , itunes , apple update . Then i downloaded itunes 7.7 but it saids there is a newer version. So am i forgetting to uninstall something?
  5. Totally 1337

Totally 1337 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    you REFORMATTED!? because of ITUNES!?

wow dude. you have some serious guts! props to you!

6. EmeraldICE

EmeraldICE New Member

Haha, what can I say? I love my iPod. <3
  7. iPTF_BROWSER

iPTF_BROWSER Active Member

Device:
    HTC One
    You need to open the iTunes 7.7 .exe file with winrar and take out the AppleMobileDevice. WHILE ITUNES IS INSTALLED. Then double click the AppleMobileDevice.exe file and let it install and then it will be fine.
  8. jrok18

jrok18 New Member

Hold on so first i download itunes 7.7 from that link then what? How do i take out the apple mobile device?
  9. EmeraldICE

EmeraldICE New Member

First download iTunes 8, install it.
    Then DL iTunes 7.7 and use a program called 'winrar' to extract applemobiledevice from it. Then install that and you should be able to sync your iPod again.
  10. cainy

cainy New Member

format only takes 10 mins now days, especially with vista, its usually quicker than fixing any probs with the pc