Itunes 7.7 needed for Winpwn, but won't allow dfu?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by bichiliad, Jul 26, 2008.

1. bichiliad

bichiliad New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    It says on the winpwn website (winpwn.com) that iTunes 7.7 is manditory to install a patched firmware. However, I know that in versions 7.6-7.7 iTunes can check and take an iPod out of DFU and put it into restore (I've tried... Vista said it was installing the DFU Driver, iTunes started up, and then my iPod's screen went white and it booted). I've heard this from several people. So here's my question: What do I do? I Can't dfu in 7.7, although 7.7 is required for Winpwn. I can DFU in 7.5 (Which I can't find a download link for) but winpwn won't work with 7.5.

Any ideas?
  2. darc10222

darc10222 Banned

Why would Apple take DFU out of iTunes? It's not JUST for jailbreaking, it's an important part of restoring legit iPod's too. It works in 7.7 and always has.
  3. bichiliad

bichiliad New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Check this thread.
    http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=790425#post790425

It doesn't seem to be that they took it out so much as added a checker to make sure your device actually needed to be in dfu mode. Can you install custom firmware on your iPod without DFU in restore mode?
  4. citrusleak

citrusleak New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    WOW OMG IF YOU WERE TO READ ALL OF THE WEBSITE IT SAYS YOU NEED 7.7 BUT THEN YOU HAVE TO DOWNGRADE FROM 7.7 TO 7.5 TO MAINTAIN 7.7'S DRIVERS BUT ALSO ALLOW DFU MODE. DONT BE SUCH A NOOB AND READ THE f***ING INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE MAKING SUCH A BAD POST.

ILL PROBABLY GET BANNED FOR THIS CAUSE THESE ADMINS SUCK BUT ILL JUST MAKE MY 5TH ACCOUNT AND USE A BLAHBLAHBLAH@MAILINATOR.COM ADDRESS.

YOU SHOULD CHECK OUT MAILINATOR BECAUSE ITS FOR SPAM EMAILS AND U DONT EVEN NEED TO SIGN UP.
    THE =ADMINS THAT BAN PEOPLE AND ARE SO STRICT ARE THAT WAY BECAUSE THEY WERE NERDS IN SCHOOL AND NEVER GOT LAID AND NOW THEY THINK THEY HAVE TECHIE POWERS AND ABUSE IT ALL OVER PEOPLES PROFILES.

SERIOUSLY I GOT BANNED FOR 2 WEEKS!!!!!!!!!!! JUST FOR REOPENING A 5 DAY OLD POST.

f***ING STUPID ADMINS SUCK A BIG DICK.
  5. Tturner

Tturner New Member

^thats a LOLercoster
  6. bichiliad

bichiliad New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Actually, you're pretty wrong. ANd I guess I was too. When iTunes says "waiting for device," it tries to reboot the ipod normally. This is when you shut it down when you see the apple logo and then reboot it in dfu. It will successfully go into dfu, as iTunes cannot normally boot it.
  7. dead_evangel

dead_evangel New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    he's right i tought i was having that problem... when i tried to get into dfu mode i got an error saying the ipod couldn't be recognized correctly... that was i wasn't doing it right...

so i tried this

-conect your ipod to itunes then when it's recognized turn it off... but start pressing the lock and menu buttons.... even the ipod isn't already of...
    -keep pressing buttons and when you hear your pc recognized it release the lock button.... but keep pressing menu until itunes says you the ipod is in dfu

well it worked for me
  8. bichiliad

bichiliad New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Doing it right now... its working. brilliantly. so far. I got the boot logo changed... thats a good sign.