iTunes 7.7 hangs everytime i try to upgrade to 2.0 firmware

Discussion in 'iTunes' started by cormega, Jul 13, 2008.

1. cormega

cormega New Member

This is starting to drive me crazy, I've been trying and failing for several hours now.

I am running iTunes 7.7 on a Win XP machine and I've been having some really annoying issues with upgrading to 2.0.

iTunes will download the 2.0 for me but everytime I try to start the actual upgrade process, iTunes will hang with the standard windows message "iTunes has encountered a problem and will have to close".

I have just done a complete reinstall of iTunes and the other apple software, and I ran the iTunes installation with the "run as" function in Windows to install it with my admin account.
    I did this after having uninstalled itunes, quicktime, bonjour, apple software updater, etc...

I thought that might be the solution because after the upgrade to iTunes 7.7 I always got the "iTunes was unable to load provider data from Sync Services. Reconnect or try again later" message when I started iTunes.

After the reinstallation, I got rid of that error message once starting iTunes but the program still crashes once I try to upgrade my ipod touch to 2.0.

I have never had any similar problems either when restoring the ipod or when upgrading to newer firmware and I am so sick an tired of failing to complete this upgrade now

Please Register or Log in to view images

I hope anyone have had some experience with this problem and can give me a couple of tips as to how to solve this annoying issue, apple support haven't even addressed online yet it as far as I know..
  2. irwinb

irwinb New Member

I'll second this. I have almost the same problem. iTunes doesn't close down (usually), but my update always fails during the "preparing to restore" phase, or if it gets to the "restoring" phase it freezes there.

I took it into an apple store and they said there was something peculiar about my firmware that it didn't want to go into restore mode.

My question is, does anyone know of a reason why firmware would get locked in? My iPod (originally 1.1.4 refurbished) seems incapable of either upgrading or downgrading firmware. It's like it does a check and if firmware doesn't equal what's already on there, it fails.

Thanks.
  3. cormega

cormega New Member

I actually got it solved yesterday when I restored the iPod on another machine with iTunes and then again restored it on my machine with the 2.0 software, but that was like my 30th upgrade attempt.

I wonder what went wrong at apple this time, since both iTunes 7.7 and the 2.0 upgrade have some major issues that needs fixing.