its a nightmare!apps not working?---[read why]

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by juniorgentile, Feb 3, 2008.

1. juniorgentile

juniorgentile New Member

Most pkg downloads are failing.
    Recently, I had to move the serving of my repository’s XML file from the Dreamhost server that was serving it, to a free global caching system (http://coralcdn.org), as my hosting provider was threatening to disable the site due to the high number of connections per second. That move, even though the caching system isn’t perfect, saved the site and Dreamhost left the site alone.

Today, they have throttled a different account of mine - the one that serves 50% of all the zip files. They said that there were too many connections and it was driving up server load. Consequently, the vast majority of all downloads from that server are failing now, and there’s nothing I can do about it. There are two other server, that two other folks graciously let me use, that are currently each serving about 25% of the downloads. They cannot handle more traffic.

I have complained to Dreamhost, pointing out that they have essentially destroyed my site. I also have pointed out to them that they are not providing me the service that my account is supposed to have - namely, 10TB of data transfer a month. I’m not even close to that and they have cut me off and rather ruined things.

Original 1.1.3 Jailbreak removed from Ste Packaging.

Filed in: Misc, Pkg Updates

Ever since the dev team released their version of the 1.1.3 jailbreak, there have been problems, as theirs and the one that Nate True released do not behave the same. The jailbreak released by Nate does not maintain the privilege separation between the “mobile” user, which most apps run as in 1.1.3, and the “root” user. The dev team’s jailbreak preserves this.

Nate’s allowed most apps to continue to run as they had on previous releases. The dev team’s causes many apps to break. The dev team’s is the more correct method, however. Apps need to be rewritten to work in the new environment, rather than hacking the system to allow them to run unmodified.

Some developers are coding their apps to work with Nate’s jailbreak, while others are coding theirs to work with the dev team’s. This is bad. Users can’t tell which jailbreak method an app is targeted to run under and developers don’t know which jailbreak method the user used.

I have been asking Nate to update his jailbreak package so that it behaves the same as the dev team’s. I believe he is working on it, but it is not yet ready apparently. I cannot, in good conscience, keep letting people download and use his method and just letting this problem continue to get out of hand. Therefore, I have removed Nate’s jailbreak package from my repository. When/if he provides me with an updated version that is compatible with the dev team’s jailbreak method, I will be happy to host it for him.

Developers: code your apps for the environment created by the dev team’s jailbreak.

Users: Nate tells me he is working on a package that will convert a device jailbroken with his package to one compatible with the dev team’s. I encourage you to run it, when it becomes available, or that you start over and jailbreak with the dev team’s package.

We all need to be on the same page, with the same kind of jailbreak. Otherwise we will only have a huge mess. Yes, moving to the new way of doing things causes pain for developers and packagers. Installer.app 3.0 will help ease this pain, but the fact is we will just have to bit the bullet and get through this transition the best we can.

-ste
  2. juniorgentile

juniorgentile New Member

read guys??
    this is sopose to help all of you who are having problems!
  3. irish93

irish93 Banned

So now everybody who did nate trues way is basically screwed, untill it behaves like the dev teams?
    and when he does, will everybody who has his way have to re jalibreak, or will there be some kind of update?
  4. juniorgentile

juniorgentile New Member

it is going to be an update
  5. irish93

irish93 Banned

aliight thanks, and when do ou think this update is going to be released?
  6. juniorgentile

juniorgentile New Member

when ever, they find a new upload.
    cause theirs is down.
  7. Schroeder2010

Schroeder2010 New Member

so I still don't know how
    long it will be until I can dowload the damn packages. Any ideas?
  8. GStudios

GStudios New Member

this sucks because my iPod bricked so i had to reset it and now i cant dowload any new things

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. juniorgentile

juniorgentile New Member

damn, i hope they figure it out soon!!

Please Register or Log in to view images