itouch won't connect with WPA

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Glamslam, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Glamslam

Glamslam New Member

Hi all,
    Recently purchased a 16gb itouch and (stupidly) updated it to 1.1.3. I'm having trouble getting online with my home router, a speedtouch BeBox modem provided by my ISP here in the UK.

I have changed settings various times and found out the following: that I CAN connect with WEP (though the other PCs in the house don't like this) but I CANNOT connect with WPA.

The password is correct and entered in CAPS, I've changed channels with no luck and even tried different WPA2. The itouch can detect the router but, after I've input the password correctly, it is unable to connect.

Is it just that itouch cannot use WPA at all?
    Any help would be much appreciated. Figured I should probably sort this basic problem out before I attempted to jailbreak!

Please Register or Log in to view images

Thanks in advance
  2. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    That's bizzare. The iPod Touch can use WEP, WPA and WPA2, so I'm not really sure what would cause it.
  3. Glamslam

Glamslam New Member

I know - I'm stumped. Do you think if I downgraded the firmware it would make any difference?
  4. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    It shouldn't, the different firmwares shouldn't have different compatibilities. So are you just getting an error that says that it can't connect? If so, try moving a bit closer.
  5. Glamslam

Glamslam New Member

The exact error message is "Unable to join the Bebox network"...distance doesn't seem to make a difference. I am picking up my neighbours though...
  6. drkassassin

drkassassin New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    i was having that problem when i tried connecting through safari
    go into settings and try connecting form there
    btw i use wpa2
  7. shavey99

shavey99 New Member

Try this... works for me.

Had the same issue... under your router settings make sure the encryption algorithm is TKIP.
  8. Andy Huang

Andy Huang Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    My routerhas option for "TKIP or AES" as one of them (it will automatically decide) and my iPod Touch connects to it just fine with that one selected.
  9. colinb

colinb New Member

Problems accepting WPA password

Hi All,

Just got my iPod touch and spent 3 hrs trying to get it to connect to my WPA-PSK protected WiFi with little success - which was a bit embarassing seeing I am a professional IT guy!

The problem was that I could see my router, but the password was not being accepted.

But the answer turned out to very simple. I was mislead into thinking I was getting upper case when I wasn't. By making sure I hit the shift for every letter the password was accepted and I got connected.

Simple, silly on my part, but very frustrating!
  10. cjjav

cjjav New Member

so? have you solved this problem already?