iTouch will connect, temporarily, but won't charge

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by slonison, Aug 17, 2010.

1. slonison

slonison New Member

Ok I've been all over the internet and have searched high and low for an answer to this.

Computer A: eMachines (Windows XP) herein known as eMachines
    Computer B: HP Laptop (Windows XP) herein known as Laptop

iPod Touch herein known as iTouch
    iPod 5g 30gig herein known as iPod5g.

I've been having trouble syncing anything to the eMachines at all. Originally it was because I believed it only to have usb 1.1 ports. I bought a Dynex PCI card with 4 usb 2.0 ports and installed it.

1st: Whenever I plug (in the usb 1.1 or 2.0 ports) in the iPod5g, it won't charge. The battery icon simply shows a green battery with a plug. iTunes will recognize it and attempt to sync but the battery dies soon into the sync. It should be charging while connected shouldn't it?

2nd: Whenever I plug (in the usb 1.1 ports) the iTouch, the battery icon on the touch flickers between the lightning bolt and plug and plain unplugged battery icon, and the computer recieves notifications as if the iTouch is connecting and disconnecting immediately over and over. iTunes recognizes it and attempts to sync but because it gets disconnected, the sync cancels.

Tried both on the Laptop and both show a lightning bolt as if charging and will connect to iTunes with no problem. Anybody have a solution for this?

Clearly, I know it's an issue with the computer but both of these devices worked on the computer at one point.

I tried putting the USB 2.0 card in a another (3rd computer) and the ipod5g and the iTouch both work without problems. What could possibly be causing this?
  2. Shengis14

Shengis14 Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    Are your USB drivers up to date ??
  3. m0in

m0in Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    have you tried diff cable?
  4. slonison

slonison New Member

I've tried 3 different cables and all three produce the same results.

Updated the drivers several times, then did a full OS reinstall and still the same thing is happening.
  5. patpond

patpond New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Do other devices work in those USB slots? It sounds like you're not getting power over the USB. If that's the case try a different PCI slot.

Since the card is working in another PC, it's definitely that eMachines PC. Make sure that the card is installed correctly under Device Manager.