Itouch wifi to laptop wifi?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mjaflip, Oct 9, 2007.

1. mjaflip

mjaflip New Member

can anyone tell me if its possible to connect my itouch wifi to my laptop (dell xps m1710 w/ vista ultimate) wifi? I have my set up at work through an ethernet cable on my laptop and I wanted to share the connection so that my itouch can get online. we do have a wireless router, but its positioned to far away and too many walls and barely reaches my desk.
  2. thomashayes

thomashayes New Member

Shouldn't be a problem. You need to utilise the 'Internet connection sharing' ability of Windows Vista.

1. Open Network Connections by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Network and Internet, clicking Network and Sharing Center, and then clicking Manage network connections.

2. Right-click the connection that you want to share, and then click Properties. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. Click the Sharing tab, and then select the Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection check box.
  3. mjaflip

mjaflip New Member

Shouldn't be a problem. You need to utilise the 'Internet connection sharing' ability

My itouch can't seem to find my laptop. my wifi is on on both products. sharing is on for the laptop ethernet connection. any other reason's it may not be working?
  4. nintendodude

nintendodude New Member

it creates an Ad-Hoc bridge, not an infastructure network... the iPoT cannot connect to Ad-Hoc networks, i think..
  5. mjaflip

mjaflip New Member

thanks for the help guys. means alot. anyone got a suggestion for a usb wifi immiter? i heard d-link has a good one. its similar to the nintendo wii and ds wifi immiter.
  6. thomashayes

thomashayes New Member

You could buy an Apple Airport Express.

They're not very expensive, you can even get new ones for about half list price on eBay. It'll provide you with a proper wireless network for both your laptop and your Touch - as well as giving you wireless speakers if you hook it up to a soundsystem, and sharing a printer via the built in USB port.
  7. nintendodude

nintendodude New Member

those are just great! I have two of them and i seriously love them. my 2nd one was only $30 because of coupons/refurb and it supports more features than a 100$ linksys router, and never crashes. ever.
  8. synagence

synagence New Member

thomashayes suggestion is perfect ...

I do the same kind of thing on my xp machine and ipod touch CAN connect to adhoc and infra networks fine.

Watch this if you're stuck: http://youtube.com/watch?v=GI-s5x4lLLw
  9. mjaflip

mjaflip New Member

Great solution Guys. I'm very thankful.
  10. nintendodude

nintendodude New Member

so the ipod can conenct to Ad-Hoc! sweet!