iTouch Wi-Fi setting help, please

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by bellaroxio, Mar 22, 2010.

1. bellaroxio

bellaroxio New Member

Mar 22, 2010
    Hi there,

I cant seem to use the Wi-Fi at my home. With my macbook, the DNS setting is and using DHCP.
    How do I set this up in the iTouch.
    Thanks for your help.
  2. br0adband

br0adband New Member

Aug 31, 2008
    If you have a wireless router at your house or home or whatever, and it's basically running the defaults, there wouldn't be any reason on Earth that you'd be required to input specific IP addresses for your iPt, nor DNS entries either. All that stuff is handled by DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) which does away with the need to input anything manually, it's all done automagically these days.

If your MacBook can connect without issues, except for putting in the password or key if required (WEP/WPA/WPA2 encryption stuff), the iPt is basically the same with respect to getting connected.

I'd say reset your router to defaults/factory condition - this is usually done by holding/pressing the reset button on the router for over 30 seconds. I don't mean a quick tap and let it go, I mean seriously hold the reset button down for at least 30 seconds, give it a solid 60 to be sure. I've got a Netgear that resets this way, a hard factory reset; most D-Link and Linksys routers do the same thing.

There's usually a reset option in the router config as well but I prefer to do the hard one as I just described.

If you can't connect to your wireless setup in 15 seconds or less minus time to type a password, I'd say something is wrong either with the router and how it's configured or perhaps the iPt might be having some issues (this is pretty obvious since you're asking for help).

But if the MacBook or whatever connects easily and quickly, the iPt should do pretty much the same.

Those IP addresses are Verizon's DNS servers, and and are pretty easy to remember. But there's no reason you should be messing around with that stuff manually...

I haven't typed in an IP address to use wireless in over 8 years, and I sure ain't starting now. DHCP to the rescue!!!

Please Register or Log in to view images