iTouch vs. iPod touch: It's been decided -> itouchfans

Discussion in 'Site feedback, suggestions, and discussions' started by bgizzle, Apr 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bgizzle

bgizzle Administrator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    IPTF will Rebrand to itouchfans.com next week

It had to happen eventually. Despite all efforts by myself and the moderators to keep the forums clean and legal it seems we've grown too fast and too large to ignore. I received a letter yesterday from the lawyers of a certain electronics company close to our hearts pointing out the continued abuse by IPTF members in discussing App Store piracy and circumvention of the 3.0 OS beta security check and linking to firmware downloads. However, as we have always done our best to quickly quell all misdemeanors by our members and, as this is a public forum where we can't stop and can only react to illegal posting, there is no legal ground for action against us on these points it seems.

Instead we're being hit from another angle. The injunction against us is based on the community's continued use of trademarked product names. One obvious mention of this is, unfortunately, in our website domain/address.

In early consultation with our lawyers I am advised that these trademark battles can take years to be fought and decided, but this leaves us with breathing room only as we have been informed to expect the courts to levy a temporary restraining order on us today, that will last for 10 days prior to a preliminary injunction.

Edit/ as I'm writing this the court order has come in. Here's is an excerpt.

In short we are being forced to revoke our site name within 10 days and to stop using any trademarked product names in this forum and any new forums we set up. Fortunately some time ago I had expected something along these lines and have already purchased the itouchfans.com domain.

Don't update your bookmarks yet though as we have some time. We will be making a full site move to the new domain www.itouchfans.com later this week with redirects to follow and the current domain will cease to exist from April 10th.

Please Register or Log in to view images

The monikers itouch, iTouch, ifone, iFone are all okay and I suggest if any member really needs to use The Company's name in any post that they use the name of another piece of fruit in its place.
  2. Virtualball

Virtualball Well-Known Member

Happy April Fools!
  3. ipNinja

ipNinja New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Seams like an end or an era in a way
  4. Skyvette427

Skyvette427 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    i always liked the name "banana itouch" lol
  5. Jailbreakipodtouch2g

Jailbreakipodtouch2g Member

6. jlgm25

jlgm25 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
  7. dudeitsriley

dudeitsriley Banned

8. ztigerpaw

ztigerpaw New Member

Look at that banana. Its touchy feely.
  9. murphmanny

murphmanny Banned

What!!? I don't belive.
  10. Meikura

Meikura Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    It's not April fools. Bgizzle is in Paris... they actually don't have it over there. :/
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.