iTouch Questions From a New Guy

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by CrazyFoo, Aug 25, 2009.

1. CrazyFoo

CrazyFoo New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hi all,

I purchased a 32gb iTouch from Ebay and as this will be my first ipod, I have some questions.

1) Once I get it in the mail, what should be the first thing I should do with it?
    Do I upgrade the firmware, if so, are there certain steps to take in order to do so?
    2) Does it have itunes already installed, or must I install it myself? If yes, how do I go about doing this?

3) I have iTunes installed on my desktop, and my entire 22GB music collection has either been purchased through iTunes, or imported from my CD's.
    I bought the ipod mainly as a way to have all my music on one place so I can listen anytime, and as a way to back-up my itunes collection.
    How do I go about transfering the music from my desktop to my Ipod?
    Is there a sequence of steps I take?

4) Approx how many GB of memory does storing one DVD movie on the ipod use?
    I have a in-Dash Jenson 7 inch DVD player in my truck, which happens to have an aux in input. If I have a couple of DVD's on my IPOD, can I plug into the aux input and have the movie show up on the 7 inch Jenson display?

Thanks for your patience everyone, this is all new to me, so your patience is appreciated.

Regards
    Crazy
  2. iptman

iptman Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    1. Go in to itunes, click upgrade, pay $10

2. keep your current installation

3. hit sync in itunes while your ipod is connected

4. Maybe 500mb if converted to a lower quality suited for the ipod...
    and no, the aux won't work

as a side note, apple will most likely release a new ipod touch in a couple weeks
  3. CrazyFoo

CrazyFoo New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I'm always a day late and a dollar short when it comes to this tech stuff, lol.
    Thanks for your help.

So the firmware upgrade is $10? really?
    I've never heard of a company charging it's customers for a firmware update, what's the deal with that? Seems a little on the chizzaly side to me, unless I'm missing something. I mean, you pay almost $400 bucks for their item, the firmware is outdated when it arrives, and then you have to pay? That's sort of how I'm looking at it, and I certainly don't mean any disrespect to anyone here.

Oh, one question I forgot since I'm here...
    I read that these Ipods let you surf the web from the included browser via a hotspot.
    The network I have set up at home consists of a Sierra Wireless 595U aircard, and a cradlepoint router, will I be able to surf the web at home via connecting wirelessly to my home network?

Thanks again
    Crazy
  4. cOde0010Joy

cOde0010Joy Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    yes, you should... i've read here in the forums that apple charge ipod touch major fimware updates and not on iphone updates because iphone users pay some monthly fee or something and us ipod touch users, dont... yeah, it sucks..
  5. iptman

iptman Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yes they do

Please Register or Log in to view images

... iPhone update are free though

Don't discuss downloading it illegally here because you will get banned, because its, well, illegal....

You can surf the web through any wi-fi network, so as long as you have a working router, you should be fine....

The ipod uses wireless g
  6. CrazyFoo

CrazyFoo New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thanks guys, appreciate the help.
    Regards
    Crazy