iTouch Full OS X ?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Qaisar, Dec 23, 2007.

1. Qaisar

Qaisar New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Hello I'm new here,

I am Yorker from Brighthand.com I received my iTouch on Wednesday last week and it's simply amazing. Anyways, since the SDK is coming out on February for both idevices...I was wondering if all developing apps for the iPhone will work on the iTouch?

I do know that the iPhone has a full OS X system but, the iTouch has a stripped down version (Darwin I believe?). Would there still be plug-ins for Safari such as flash? I heard there is going to be a 32GB iTouch w/flash support ready to unveil next year and would like to know if I should save up, I probably will

Please Register or Log in to view images

Thanks!
  2. Steaps

Steaps New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Well there are apps that were made for the iPhone now and still work on the touch. Labryth for example.
  3. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

As long as the app doesn't access iPhone features that are not available on the Touch, then yes, the apps are interchangeable. The OS is the same; the only software difference are the device-specific apps.

I'll be saving up for the 32gb version. I hemmed and hawed over the 16gb version for a month and change before I finally admitted that I liked the functionality enough to give up a fair chunk of capacity. As for Safari -- no, there are currently no official plugins for it, least of all Flash. That doesn't mean there won't be though; Mobile Safari does support a plugin structure of sorts, and there are a couple of small plugins available, so that's not to say that Flash won't be supported in the future. It's certainly #1 on user want lists. I'm sure one will turn up eventually. Whether or not it will be doable in the soon-to-be-released SDK remains in question, but if not via the SDK, I am sure that some enterprising developer will make one for jailbroken iPhones and touches.
  4. Qaisar

Qaisar New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Yes, most apps do...but how about when it comes to developing a Word Management/Editing application, plug-ins and most of all...running MAC OS X applications?
  5. Qaisar

Qaisar New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Okay, good.

There is only one plug-in I'm aware of and used, it was used for downloading files from Mobile Safari.

There are so many mysteries to the iTouch such as the "Bluetool" folder and the iTouch shipped w/o OS X and gave view of a Bluetooth app.
  6. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

Mac apps won't work. There was an app floating around that got a trio of OS X widgets to work (sort of, not very well, and not natively) but that was about the extent of getting anything from the Mac working on the iPhone/Touch. There's just too much stripped out of the iPhone/Touch verison of OS X to allow them to run Mac apps. Whether it would be possible to rebuild a semi-full desktop-class OS X remains highly debatable, but I don't think such a project is on anyone's plate right now, so I wouldn't count on seeing anything for some time.

The Bluetooth thing is one of two things: Remnants of iPhone support files, or potential evidence of future Bluetooth support. I am thinking it is the former personally, given that the iPoT was tooled straight from the iPhone, but I can almost bet that the next iteration of the Touch will also have BT and support the Bluetooth 2.0 profile. (Probably without EDR, knowing Apple) Apple probably never removed the files from the OS because they knew they would eventually add BT support.
  7. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Just to clarify, the OS X widget work because they are basically mini-web pages that are built on Safari technology. So nothing special there...

As for Mac OS X apps, no they will not work. As has been discussed before, the iPod Touch although it is using Mac OS X as it's operating system, is running on a different processor. At the very least, the applications would need to be recompiled from their source for the iPod Touch. There are things stripped out of the OS that might cause issues (e.g., printing systems, etc.), but that's not the limitation for running Mac apps - it's the underlying processor. Same as the difference between PowerPC apps and Intel apps...