itouch fell in the ocean

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by julien18, Dec 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. julien18

julien18 New Member

While on vacation on a boat, my new itouch accidently fell in the salty water (about 15-20 feet deep). I managed to retreive it from the bottom, the water was clear. The itouch screen had water in it. After several days of sucking out the water and the help of a blow dryer, most of the water visibly disappeared. I don't know what the inside looks like. It no longer opens, even when plugged. What can I do??? I still have the warrenty, but I doubt they will replace it??? Please offer some advice.
  2. psh jamason

psh jamason New Member

Your iPod is broken.
    If you had dropped it in fresh water, then immediately turned it off, disassembled it, removed the battery, and set all the electronics out to dry, that is the only way it had a chance of surviving.
    Salt water does extensive damage to electronics, and you likely got a short circuit for not taking out the battery.
    Also, the use of a blow drier on it likely didn't help. You can't have hot air because it will stress the electronics and they have a higher chance of breaking.
    Sorry, you're pretty much out of luck.
    Only thing to do is buy a new iPod.
  3. Rawd

Rawd New Member

Please Register or Log in to view images

Ya, that sucks man. You can try to play dumb and get warranty, but I heard there is a water sensor inside....
  4. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

There's no water sensor.

Otherwise, yeah, you're pretty much SOL. If you can't disconnect the battery as soon as humanly possible after it's gotten a dunking then it's going to short and no amount of disassembly and blow-drying is going to help. It's fried.

This would be the case in fresh water, too. Salt water has higher conductivity (up to 500x more conductive than freshwater), but water is conductive no matter what, so as soon as it touches sensitive circuits while power is still being supplied to it, it's toast.
  5. kingjarman

kingjarman Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    as my grandma says:
    you're up sht creek without a paddle.
    =/
  6. Zink

Zink Member

Device:
    iPad
    Look inside your headphones hole closely tell me if you see something orange
  7. plg6067

plg6067 New Member

Just go to an apple store and just say your ipod stooped working, they will just plug it in and see that it doesn't work and replace it. I dropped my video ipod and broke it and it wasn't apple's fault and they replaced it anyway...
  8. Joseph

Joseph Retired Moderator

How does that work? When the Touch gets wet it turns orange? xD
  9. makaveldon04i

makaveldon04i New Member

uhh...you are f***ed,i dont think they cover water damages,and theyll know right away if you dropped it in water

there is a little piece of paper in the headphone outlet that changes colors once in contact with water...therefore theyll know you dropped it in water...sorry to say,your ipod is ruined,not only was it a big drop,it was in salt water...you can try to return it though...
  10. AutoItKing

AutoItKing New Member

Apple will not replace it. There is a piece of litmus paper in the headphone jack that turns a bright color when it comes into contact with water, including salt water.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.