iOS 3.1 iTouch 2G can't be restored, restarts every 10-ish seconds

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Kanden Yamaneko, Jan 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kanden Yamaneko

Kanden Yamaneko New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    • Illegal/piracy-related discussions
    Hello everyone

First of all I would like to apologize if someone with a similar problem already asked about this and had it solved, I couldn't find anything similar. Also, I'm sorry if this doesn't really belong in this section, I'm not sure where it would go otherwise and the problem occured on a jailbroken ipod as well as as a result of trying to jailbreak.. so yeah

Please Register or Log in to view images

My iPod Touch 2G was jailbroken a loooong time ago.. I'd say about a year ago. There was nothing wrong with that jailbreaking, and I think that should have nothing to do with this problem.

Lately I wanted to try the League of Legends - Turret Defense game, but I couldn't because it required the iPod 3.0 software update, which I didn't have.

I was following a set of instructions on a blog for blackra1n I believe, and the first thing I needed to do was to update my iPod to firmware 3.1, and so I downloaded the firmware from [redacted], connected my itouch, and shift+click restore in itunes and selected that file.

Somewhere along the restoring stage something happened (I wasn't really paying attention to the ipod or the computer at that time) and BAM there was an error message on the computer screen and my ipod touch was in recovery mode. I didn't even try to jailbreak yet, lol.

And so I try various different methods all over the internet and spent hours trying to get my ipod out of the recovery mode, such as pressing the home button and power button at the same time for 10 seconds and such. I just can't get it out of recovery mode. A massive problem is that when I try to connect my ipod to my computer, I get the message from itunes saying that my ipod is in recovery mode and that I have to restore it before I can do anything with it. So I click restore and see what happens. My ipod restarts itself before iTunes can even restore it, and it keeps restarting itself every 10 or so seconds afterwards. So I can't even use iTunes to restore.

Everytime I try to restore I get a few specific error codes.. 13, 1611, and 2002.

I tried to leave my ipod connected, and hold the power + home button for around 10 seconds then restoring. That seemed to prevent my ipod from restarting as fast as it otherwise would. iTunes actually manages to complete the progress bar for Preparing iPod for restoring phase a few times, while my ipod's screen turns white, then to the Apple logo. And then it restarts. Again. And again.

I don't know if this is relevant but before this happened my iPod was at about half-full power, and after a while of restarting it showed me the "I'm about to die" battery-low screen, and since it still keeps restarting when I keep it connected to the computer I put it on my ipod dock instead, and now it's at the stupid recovery screen again, where it tells me to connect to itunes.

Phew, sorry for the super long post but that's about all the information I can provide at the moment, I really want to get my iPod fixed and obviously I can't send it in to Apple to get it fixed because it was jailbroken before..

Someone please help!

Edit: I just tried to use iRecovery to get it out of recovery mode and it didn't work.. it says that NAND format is invalid.. I'm not sure what that means but maybe this has something to do with it?

Update: A friend suggested that I leave the iPod until it completely runs out of batteries and then try plugging it back in.. I did just that and now it's not even turning on, I see it sort of flashing. This type of flashing is like the screen is flashing from being completely off, to on but blank/black screen, then back to completely off, over and over again.. And now my computer can't recognize the iPod at all.
  2. jmwerkus

jmwerkus Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    dfu restore it
  3. Kanden Yamaneko

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    @jmwerkus

I can't manage to get it into DFU mode at all

Edit: Now that I've searched up some info and tried again, I realized that I actually can get my iPod touch into DFU mode (where iTunes can still detect it, but the screen is black/blank, right?).. but when I try to restore it using iTunes the same thing happens, iTunes eventually just gives up and says "Ipod "iPod" cannot be restored. Unexpected error occured" or something like that, only this only always results in error 13.

4. kingcoolryan

kingcoolryan Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    Maybe pay for the non pirated firmware ... Btw gg nub
  5. Kanden Yamaneko

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    YES! I have successfully fixed my iPod Touch

What my friend suggested actually worked in the end, when I saw the weird flashing screen and the fact that my iPod wouldn't turn on anymore I gave up and just stuck it onto my Dock so that it would perhaps charge a bit.. and when it turned back into the Recovery screen I tried to restore using iTunes again and it worked!

Now it's even jailbroken

6. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    There's a requirement for iPod touch owners to pay a few bucks for major firmware updates.

Thread closed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.