iTouch 16gb or 8gb?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by VoLTaG3, Sep 26, 2008.

1. VoLTaG3

VoLTaG3 New Member

Hello, I'm new to the forums.

I'm going to pick up an iTouch next weekend from my local apple store, well it's in Manhattan, NY and I live in The Bronx so I cant really call it local. I am constantly debating on whether to get a 8gb or 16gb. I am currently a owner of a white Zune 30gb in which I've had for 2 years and it still pretty much looks like it came out of the box.

I have a surprisingly low 296 songs on my Zune which comes up to 1.99gb of total space taken. The reason for so little data space being occupied is my Zune software is corrupted leaving me unable to uninstall it or repair it. So I can no longer sync new media to my Zune.

I have 20.4gb of movies which I know might come down to 7-8gb when if I convert all of them to be watched on the iTouch. I don't really watch videos on my portable devices but don't get me wrong it's a great feature to just watch your favorite TV show while you take the bus to school.

I usually just leave movie watching to my Laptop or my Bedroom TV. My song collection is about 1.75gb after I deleted all of the songs I stopped listening to. Over time I know I'll keep adding more songs and more songs means more space taken. Also the apps on the iTouch take space also.

Now I keep thinking to myself the iTouch has a beautiful 3.5" screen which I know is great for video watching so I will add movies to my iTouch after they've been converted making each movie an average of 400-500mb that is around 1 1/2 hours.

I used my Zune 30gb without a case for 2 years and it looks pretty damn good with hardly any noticeable scratches on the "plastic" screen. The iTouch has a glass screen which is much more scratch resistant than plastic, but I've heard people say the back of the iTouch gets scratched so easily to the point where if you look at the back it'll scratch. I really have my eye on a Griffin iClear. I'm hoping by next weekend when I go to the apple store they'll have the iClear cases.

I'm getting this skin from decal girl, I'm a male. I like the design and colors which match my red, black and white earphones, but do you guys think that skin is a little feminine?
    http://www.decalgirl.com/browse.cfm/4,15697.htm

If you guys think it's feminine I'll get this skin instead:
    http://www.decalgirl.com/browse.cfm/4,8612.htm

These skins are the reason I want a iClear or any clear hard case for my iTouch so I can see the skin and still get protection.

Now to conclude this long post, sorry for it being long but is it worth it to pay $70 extra and get double the memory from 8gb and lose that constraint feeling that I might run out of space or save the $70 because you think I might not need anymore than 8gb. What I'm willing to do is go on a song search every weekend which will increase my song library by 10 songs every weekend and add about 3-4 high quality movies at once and delete a movie after I've watched it. 8gb fits my needs or 16gb?

Thanks for the replies.
  2. fear_2670

fear_2670 Banned

16 Gig

Get the 16 gig, by the way zune sucks.
  3. VoLTaG3

VoLTaG3 New Member

Ok, did you see the skins? which should I choose.
  4. deleted account 92

deleted account 92 Active Member

Wow, I'm definitely not reading all that.

Please Register or Log in to view images

But from reading the title, I think you should get the 16 gb.
  5. Thao

Thao New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Wow, you're an idiot. You don't even know his 'needs' as far as storage goes. You're just pulling that answer out of your ass. If you're not going to be helpful, don't bother posting?

Back to the original topic - If you're planning on adding more content as you go, I'd say go for the 16GB. If you're not going to, and go on an add-one, remove-one basis, then I'd say the 8G. You also have to factor in what you could do with that $70. I think it's more of a matter of your personal priorities. Would you rather have a little chunk of spending money, or an "unrestricted" amount of space on your iPod?

As for the skins, again, they'll be interpreted different by different people. If you're asking about them being "feminine", I think they both look pretty feminine. But honestly, why do you care? Do you think people are seriously going to be like "Omgz, look at the back of his iPod, he must be gheeeyy lolz." No, they are not. If YOU like how they look, then buy them. And stop giving a sh*t about what people will think about it.

That's my two cents. Sorry if I sound pissed, I'm just so sick of useless people just posting for the sake of posting. If you're going to post, at least have the respect to read about his -bleeping- problem.
  6. royalblue

royalblue Banned

Device:
    iPhone
    i think you should go for the 16 gig, so you have room to expand, cause the 8gb actually has about 7 1/2 gb free out of the box, so youd be full just of your movies, youd need more room for music

i would go for the second skin, just personal opinion.
    the case prolly wont fit with the decal on though i couldn't fit the ipod into my dock with it on
  7. awesome761

awesome761 Banned

ipod touch 16 gig = awesome
  8. VoLTaG3

VoLTaG3 New Member

Are the decals thick? or there slightly thicker than a sheet of paper?
  9. hect111

hect111 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    for my taste those are WAY to femine go to www.skinit.com they have a good selection and you can even make your own.
    but even if you did want to buy those there for first gen ipods
    and you should get the 16gb 70 bucks extra isnt that much for a 8gb upgrade
    i have an 8gb and i really want to get rid of this to get a 16 gb i cant put movies in it because then ill have to dekete songs of it
  10. VoLTaG3

VoLTaG3 New Member

I'm not getting a skin anymore since I really cant find a good one and the way the iTouch looks naturally is still pretty good. I'll just pick up a Griffin iClear with my iTouch 16gb purchase next weekend.

Thanks for all you help guys!!!