It would sometimes geotag without Wi-fi

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mappy4ever, Sep 12, 2010.

1. mappy4ever

mappy4ever Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    iPod touch 4th Gen. I have noticed a couple of times, My pictures have location in them, and some don't (all without wi-fi). Infact I experimented with wi-fi off and the new pictures naturally had location in them.

Pretty werid?

Please Register or Log in to view images

Seems like new touch has GPS for Geotagging?

(hey atleast I could dream ^_^ )
  2. mush

mush Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    its probably tagging the last known wifi place u were at
  3. mappy4ever

mappy4ever Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    But A place (where I didn't have access to wi-fi at all has tagged all the pics taken there) ...

Very Surprising...
  4. tinyman392

tinyman392 Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    It has a positioning system in the WiFi chip... It isn't that accurate, but I notice that it can get my actually location sometimes when I'm not on WiFi. I went to a friends house once (not connected to Wifi), opened maps (that had directions already), and it located me automatically at his house. I was impressed.
  5. TchnclFl

TchnclFl New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    That's pretty awesome. I had forgotten about the geotagging. I just checked some pics I took with WiFi off, but I don't see them marked on the map anywhere

6. GazaIan

GazaIan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Lol, same here. I used it once as a navigator when I left my friends house. I had searched for directions before I disconnected from WiFi, And I just loved watching the blue dot move as I did.. It was impressive.
  7. touchfan092

touchfan092 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    the iPod touches can generate a general area of location based on wifi signals from that area, even if you are not connected to wifi. i figured that out back when i was using the Maps app on my 1G to follow some directions to a place i hadn't been before; the dot showing my location gradually moved along the map so i knew i was going the right way.
  8. ChrisGonzales90

ChrisGonzales90 Banned

Device:
    iPad
    You sure it wasn't bouncing off a neighbors? Your right about it not being accurate. When I had my second gen touch it always showed me down the street. With my iPad, it does that, then shows me actully in my house, in my yard and my neighborhood across the street.

Geotagging is nice. I use it all the time on my blackberry. When i upload to Flickr my pictures are geotagged.

Now if they can get more cameras with wifi built in. (and I mean REAL cameras, not phone or music player ones)
  9. cypherpunk

cypherpunk New Member

It's called skyhook and AFAIK it doesn't require an Internet connection to work. It's actually what you use most of the time on your iPhone when an app asks for your location, since it takes less time than GPS to get a location fix, albeit less accurately (and most apps, e.g. Openfeint, don't require very accurate location data).
  10. ChrisGonzales90

ChrisGonzales90 Banned

Device:
    iPad
    Expect this is about the iPod touch. There is no cell chips in the touch,.