It Works! ITunes 9 inWin 7 can see IPT3G:

Discussion in 'iTunes' started by richardcav, Jan 25, 2010.

1. richardcav

richardcav Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I won't go into the nightmare I went through to get Windows 7 to recognize ipod touch 3g.

When I tried to reinstall drivers for ipod, it kept showing up as it already found a better driver, MTP USB. It wouldn't install the correct drivers. Sound like you? Here's what I did:

Last night I came across this website:

http://randomwindowstips.wordpress.com/2009/12/08/windows-7-itunes-9-software-is-not-installed/

In case you can't go there, here's the advice from randomwindowstips.wordpress.com:

First off, you will know if the solutions below works for you if you have the following set-up and symptoms:

* Windows 7 and iTunes 8 or 9 (I tried both versions)
    * An iPhone or an iTouch (possible an iPod as well? Not sure on that one)
    * You receive the following error when you plug in your iPhone: “This iPhone cannot be used because the required software is not installed. Run the iTunes installer to remove iTunes, then re-install iTunes.”
    * The Apple Mobile Device Service was not installed (to check this, click Start, Run, then type “services.msc” Look for “Apple Mobile Device”. If it doesn’t exist, keep reading. If it does, you have a different problem.
    * You have tried installing and re-installing already and it didn’t work

The problem seems to be, for some reason, iTunes won’t install the Apple Mpbile Device software or service. Even if you extract out the AMDS installation files, it still fails. The SOLUTION is to take the software and service from Vista for AMDS and manually install it. Then, it will work!

To do this, I have provided the files you will need and installation instructions. This is a bit technical, but worth it to get your iPhone or iTouch working on windows 7. These instructions are for both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows 7 and iTunes 9. Depending on whether you have 32-bit or 64-bit Windows, make sure you select the appropriate files and follow the right instructions, otherwise it won’t work.

If you don’t know whether you have 32-bit or 64-bit Windows, right-click on “Computer”, click Properties, then look under “System type”

Good luck!

1. If you don’t have it installed lately, install the latest version of iTunes from here. You will need some version of iTunes 9 if you use the files I have in these instructions.
    2. Next, you need to manually copy the Mobile Device Support directory from a working Vista machine to your Windows 7 computer. Luckily, I have conveniently provided this file.
    32-Bit: Please click here to download this directory for 32-bit Windows.
    64-Bit: Please click here to download this directory for 64-bit Windows.
    3. Once you download that file, you need to Unzip it to this directory:
    32-Bit: Unzip to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple
    64-Bit: Unzip to C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple

4. There are a large number of files in that directory, so it may take a little time, please be patient
    5. Next, we have to merge the registry entries that will install the Apple Mobile Device service.
    32-bit: Click here to download the registry entries for 32-bit Windows.
    64-bit: Click here to download the registry entries for 64-bit Windows.
    After you download those registry entries, unzip it to your desktop and double-click each to install it. Say “Yes” to any prompts or confirmations about adding it to the registry.
    6. Lastly, we need to install the correct driver for your iPhone / iTouch. Windows 7 incorrectly identifies the device as a digital camera. To fix this:
    - Plug in your iPhone / iTouch (don’t have iTunes loaded at this time)
    - Go to Device Manager (Click Start, right-click Computer, then click Properties. In the window that appears choose “Device Manager” on the left)
    - Scroll down and find “Apple iPod” or “Apple iPhone” or “Apple iTouch”. It will likely be under the “Portable Devices” category. NOTE: If your device is already listed under “Universal serial Bus Controllers” and not Portable Devices, you can skip these steps and go to Step 7.
    - Right-click the Apple device and choose “Update Driver Software…”
    - Choose “Browse my computer for driver software” in the window that appears
    - It will ask you for a location, you want to Browse to this folder:
    32-bit: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers
    64-bit: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers
    - Click Next
    - It should find the driver for your device; let it install that driver
    7. Once you complete these steps, reboot your computer. Once you reboot everything should work exactly as expected!

Good Luck!

PS...the first time I tried this it was unsuccessful. Here's what I had to do to make it work: The file could not be saved in the drivers folder, so instead I saved it to my desktop. Then, I unzipped it to the drivers folder and restarted my computer. I came back un, plugged in the ipod, went into device manager and directed the changed driver to the correct folder mentioned above. Lo and behold, it finally began installing the new drivers without a "my driver is better than yours" message. Restarted my computer...STILL got the camera window, but it appears in itunes.

NOW I can get ON with my life!!! SHEESH! I really really hope this works for someone else, so all my sweat and time wasn't in vain.
  2. Jacob

Jacob Well-Known Member

Wow, I didn't think people had such problems

Please Register or Log in to view images

. I have never had that problem, but thanks for posting to tell people how to fix it if they do

3. richardcav

richardcav Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I've been through every OS since Win95, except for Visa. I've never had issues (well...I mean..) until this computer. I'm not sure if it's a win7 thing or x64 But my entire holiday season has been intruded by this mess. But hopefully it's over.

Photoshop cs3 works fine.
  4. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Insane, I've been running my iPod touch 3G on a Windows 7 computer since the beta started (over a year ago...

)

Never had any kind of problems with Windows 7 with iTunes.
  5. richardcav

richardcav Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I know! Isn't is crazy?
    Here;s what I suspect happened. This being my second laptop, I used PCMover Pro to parrot the other computer. That MUST'VE messed with the regestry and all, since ITunes was one of the programs moved, instead of installed. I uninstalled and reinstalled as mentioned already, but I'm sure there were a lot of crumbs hanging around, getting into the toes of the system.

In fact, I'm going to do a search just to see what kind of results I get. I bet that's it, though.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    That was fast. I only found one result, but it seems to explain it: http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Enterprise-Applications/REVIEW-LapLink-PCmover-Pro-PCmover-Enterprise-Fill-Microsofts-Windows-7-Migration-Holes-744436/

So, my advice to new second-time computer owners would be to uninstall ITunes from the original computer before using transfer programs, and then install it on to the new computer.

OH! And the problem with the darkened app window on virtual pc xp still exists, but I don't care. I only had that installed because it wouldn't work in windows 7. That was the only reason I had to use virtual pc.
  6. Cursayer

Cursayer Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    I bought windows 7 a month ago, and it detected my ipt3g perfectly fine, so i don't know what you're talking about.
  7. richardcav

richardcav Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Then, fortunately this thread doesn't apply to you. If it worked for you, be happy. But just because it did, doesn't mean everyone is going to slide right through the process with a smile.

This is the first compatibility problem I've run into the twelve years I've been working with computers, and that includes jumping around the registry system, bios and taking all kinds of risks.

But then in every hardware and software forum I've attended, there was always someone who would complain that their program would not start, or would crash their system and they'd tried everything...and with computers newer than mine.

Yet I was fortunate and had no problems, regardless of the abuse I put my computers in. Sometimes it just won't work for some people, and that's why we have these forums (thank you, whoever started it, by the way).

I've been trying to get this to work since I bought this computer at the beginning of December. Go back and read my posts. The information I quoted above was the ONLY way it would work, and this was after I had tried EVERYTHING.

I don't know the author of that article, and I think he even quoted it from another source. But I owe a great deal of gratitude to him, and I really wish I had come across that website earlier...much earlier.

So THAT is why I posted this. I can't be the only one with this problem or that article wouldn't have existed. This information might help someone else...and I honestly hope it does before they go through what I did.
  8. ipodmanager99

ipodmanager99 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    same here
  9. philty

philty New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hi

yes it did !! thank you very much !

I didn't have this problem with the Windows Seven rc1 32 bits version but it was impossible to see the ipod touch in Itunes with Windows seven 64 bits on my second PC.

With your method everything worked at the first time.

Great Job.

Thanks again (From France)

Philippe
  10. richardcav

richardcav Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    No, I thank YOU, Philippe!

You have NO idea how happy I am to see that someone else benefited from this post.

This issue really does exist and it's a total nightmare to have to live.