It Wont Restore

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mylax33142, Oct 19, 2007.

1. mylax33142

mylax33142 New Member

so, i jailbreaked my ipod, but now it is stuck on the apple logo, and wont change. i have forced it into recovery mode, but when i plug it into itunes it says i have to restore it, and all my ipt stats come up empty. i tunes wont make any progress beyond the downloading software from itunes. i have restarted my ipod, restarted my computer, changed usb, and it still wont actually restore. man o man, i hope i did not just break $400!! PLEASE HELP
  2. Hazed

Hazed Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Try going into SSH, when the apple logo is on the screen, and typing:
    /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/SpringBoard

This should bring your ipod home screen up. Try rebooting from there. Then try force restoring. Make sure your ipod is plugged in during this entire process.
  3. Robleton

Robleton New Member

How do you SSh to your iPod if it will only go to the apple logo?
  4. calevans

calevans Retired Moderator

even if its only showing the apple logo doesn't mean that it hasn't allready loaded up. plug into you computer, and open itunes. if the ipod stays at the apple logo but loads up up in itunes. this means there is something wrong with you springboard. So you would want to try and manully run the springboard to fix the problem. Or you could just resore and start over.
  5. mylax33142

mylax33142 New Member

i used touchfree, can you please show me what to do cos i cant find the ssh file
  6. Complexis

Complexis Retired Moderator

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Ok, to get things straightened out, SSH is NOT a file! SSH is called Secure Shell which is similar to FTP in the sense that you use it to connect to your iPod in order to do the commands, manage filesystem, etc. Similar to FTP except its command line based.
  7. mylax33142

mylax33142 New Member

i am a newbeee
    so, what do i do with the touch free file, instructions please

thanks so much ya'll
  8. Complexis

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Ok, do not even attempt to make it worse. my advice to you is to brute force and try to restore it with iTunes. From the cases that I have known like yours, eventually it will be able to restore successfully.

Since there is the possibility that your computer has some problems when transferring files such as the corrupt springboard, just to make sure its not your computer, try using a different computer to perform the restore on.

Though 99% of the time iPod Touches are not truly bricked if there is an error that comes about, there is always a small percentage that actually do brick, usually from purposefully not following the instructions correctly.

Also, usually when it is at the Apple logo, it is loading the files and interface and such. My recommendation to you is that you charge up your iPod all the way, then turn it on, wait at least a minute or two before you plug in your touch and hook it up to iTunes, then perform the restore. This should increase your chances of having the restore work.

Hope that helps!
  9. mylax33142

mylax33142 New Member

i think i am doing this right
    i went to iphuc, and typed in /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/SpringBoard
    it said no such command
  10. Complexis

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Like I said in my earlier post, don't bother with iphuc and try restoring your iPod.

The string you entered is not appropriate for ssh as it is not a command at all. What you usually do is for example:

"command here" "path here"

for example:

"getfile /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/SpringBoard"

You have to actually tell it to do something. Thats why it says no such command.