It was going great until...

Discussion in 'iPod touch 2G Jailbreak: redsn0w, 24kpwn, etc.' started by jedimattk, Jul 26, 2009.

1. jedimattk

jedimattk Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I've been debating with myself since I first got my shiny new iPod about whether or not I should jailbreak it. The problem was simplified somewhat by the fact that jailbreaking wasn't available for OS 2.2.1 / iPod touch 2G for a while. After I updated to OS 3.0, however, the Dev Team released the latest incarnation of redsn0w.

Long story short, I finally decided I needed to do a jailbreak when I switched to Ubuntu 9.04 on my desktop computer, and I couldn't sync it or anything without having it jailbroken. So I downloaded redsn0w along with the correct IPSW file, set it up to install Cydia, and let it do its thing.

The whole process seemed to be going fine. My iPod rebooted, loaded perfectly, and there was Cydia. I immediately opened it up, installed the major updates it told me to, and then proceeded to install OpenSHH and [PIRACY]. It told me to reboot again after that second installation, which I did.

All pretty routine, until I happened to glance down at it after a few minutes and saw that it was still on the Apple logo screen. It appeared to be frozen, because the little spinny thing hadn't appeared to show it was working or anything. I let it run a little longer, then rebooted again. Same thing.

In desperation, I have now synced it with iTunes again on my other computer and restored it back to the default, unjailbroken settings. It's back to OS 3.0 as it was before, with all my apps, songs, etc. - sans Cydia. So I'm right back where I started, unable to sync with my main Ubuntu PC or any of the other myraid benefits that I was led to believe jailbreaking would offer.

What did I do wrong? Should I try again, and if so, what should I do differently? Please help me!!
  2. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    Don't pirate maybe?
  3. SmexyPenguin18

SmexyPenguin18 Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    how did that show he pirated something?
  4. Nburnes

Device:
    OnePlus One
    There?
  5. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Just a case of pirating gone wrong. Restore and don't try pirating again.
  6. SmexyPenguin18

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    lol I don't even know what that is. sorry
  7. Nburnes

Device:
    OnePlus One
    Good. Lets keep it that way

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. SmexyPenguin18

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    lol i will
  9. jedimattk

jedimattk Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Ummm ... what does [PIRACY] have to do with pirating? I was under the impression it would let me sync my apps (hence the name) over SSH without using iTunes, which - because I am running Ubuntu - I may need to do.

I'm waiting for the restore to complete, and then I'll try jailbreaking again in the morning. So if I don't install [PIRACY], it should work fine? Do you have any way else you would suggest for me to use which won't brick my iPod?
  10. SmexyPenguin18

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    unless your messing with bootloader or something like that dont think you cant really brick your ipod