Is too much charging bad?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Justv, Oct 28, 2010.

  1. Justv

    Justv Member

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2010
    Messages:
    143
    Likes Received:
    0
    Device:
    3G iPod touch
    So i own an ipod wall charger and i constantly charge it. I use it for 10 mins then put it to charge, usually the battery is around 90% but i still plug it yo charge. Is this bad for my ipod?
  2. Shawa

    Shawa Super Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2009
    Messages:
    3,188
    Likes Received:
    22
    Device:
    Nexus 4
    I've been doing similar for three years and my battery's doing fine. Don't worry about it.
  3. Tkf1

    Tkf1 Community Development Staff Member

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2009
    Messages:
    17,397
    Likes Received:
    2,488
    Device:
    iPad mini
    Same thing. Apple designed the battery to stop being charged when it's done.
  4. Ezekeel

    Ezekeel New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2009
    Messages:
    771
    Likes Received:
    0
    Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
  5. ChrisL

    ChrisL Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2008
    Messages:
    8,704
    Likes Received:
    159
    I don't think it's Apple's 'special' battery lol, it's Lithium-Ion batteries in general.
  6. metaldood

    metaldood New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2010
    Messages:
    595
    Likes Received:
    0
    Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hahah.. True that... It's not a magical battery. All circuits/batteries have built in "shut off"
  7. tinyman392

    tinyman392 Super Moderator Staff Member

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2008
    Messages:
    16,012
    Likes Received:
    1,380
    Device:
    iPhone 6
    Definitely true... But it still doesn't prove that consistently charging the battery will kill battery life.

    Consistently charging = Charging daily without letting it drain

    From what I've noticed (It might just be me noticing it too), the battery last a little longer if you let it drain all the way.
  8. CocaCola

    CocaCola New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2009
    Messages:
    783
    Likes Received:
    0
    Device:
    2G iPod touch
    By the time the battery will start to make a big difference, your device will be pretty obsolete. Don't worry about it. It's a pretty solid battery.
  9. mojoman0

    mojoman0 New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2008
    Messages:
    93
    Likes Received:
    0
    wrong, all nicely designed circuits have a built in shut off. You can thank power electronics for that. A lot of older devices didn't have auto shutoff but it seems just about everything does these days, although most chargers still suffer from vampire draw
  10. tinyman392

    tinyman392 Super Moderator Staff Member

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2008
    Messages:
    16,012
    Likes Received:
    1,380
    Device:
    iPhone 6
    It takes about 1 year for you to see a difference in your batter if you do this... Again, personal test with the 2G. I stopped doing that thinking that I could restore the battery to a better state afterward. The difference was small (Lost a max of 10% charge; Apple defines worn at 20%). Mine when "worn" in around 2 years...

Share This Page