Is this possible?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X' started by deleted account, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Alright, so here I was just Googling away when I came across a *******. This ******* had a custom jailbroken firmware with many "free" games/apps for those who do not want to download them themselves.
    As I was looking at it, it suddenly struck me. How did he get his custom firmware off from his iPod Touch (it was an iPod Touch firmware) onto the computer? I know it wasn't created on the computer because he had to have put it on his iPod, since he had downloaded all those "free" games/apps.

All I want to know is how do you extract the .ipsw firmware file from your iPod Touch to your computer?
    I've tried Googling it, typing, "How to get an .ipsw file from your iPod Touch." All the results just gave me tutorials on how to put *ahem*crackedapps*ahem* on your iPod Touch.

Thanks in advance!

Also, I have an iPod Touch 1G with 2.1 jailbroken firmware.
  2. Meikura

Meikura Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    He would have created the custom firmware on his computer, not his iPod.
  3. ryanlusk

ryanlusk Banned

What he said ^
    Because pwnagetool makes the firmware on your HD , then you restore that to the iPod.
  4. If he created the custom firmware on his computer, how did he get all those apps onto it?
  5. Meikura

Meikura Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I like the way OP keeps using "free" as a synonym for cracked apps

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. ryanlusk

ryanlusk Banned

At least he's trying

7. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

Those wouldn't have been on the custom image. Chances are he's included the cracked files for you to upload yourself.

Incidentally, you may want to check the topic at the forum called "STANCE ON CRACKED (ILLEGAL) APPS". It has some rules you may want to become acquainted with.
  8. Thanks for the reply.
    No I've just downloaded the file and there is just one .ipsw file.
    I have no intention on actually using it; I'm just interested in how he took it off from his iPod Touch.
  9. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

Are you sure the extra apps aren't the January App Pack? Aka the 'stuff already included in Firmware 2'? Building a custom IPSW only gives you the option to include jailbreak applications, if that... and since PwnageTool 2.x, I don't recall it having the ability to preload any apps except Installer or Cydia.
  10. fear_2670

fear_2670 Banned

don't fall for that junk.