Is this overkill?

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by SkylarEC, Mar 14, 2009.

1. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Is it overkill to replace the entire help in my app with a mini web browser? What about if all the web pages stored within the app, the actual "help" were designed to look identical to a UITable? What about if I dug out some undocumented API to remove the UIWebView's shadows on all in app web pages to help with the illusion that you are looking at actual UITables?

Comment on the YouTube link:
    Full size/Quality link (do not abuse this): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu40Dg3FHao http://www.skylarcantu.com/videos/iPicFudgerHelpWebBrowser/iPicFudgerHelpWebBrowser.mov

EDIT: I will be posting the source for the mini web browser within the tutorials section once it meets two criteria: 1) It is complete enough for me; and, 2) The app has been submitted to Apple.
  2. bgizzle

bgizzle Administrator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    No, it's not at all overkill. In fact, in my opinion it's idiotic to NOT do this, since any implementation of a help section larger than a single screen (i.e. one that requires scrollling, or multiple pages) and more complex than 1 or 2 images and a bit of text should use an existing engine. HTML already provides all sorts of primitives like lists, formatting, etc, and with CSS and images you can achieve almost anything. I did this for several large (desktop software) projects for university courses.
  3. SkylarEC

Yeah, I know. I just wanted to show off my webviews that I spent about a half hour making/tweaking.

: (
  4. Chicken

Chicken Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    I think you should go for it, I think if you didn't do it this way you'd be making it harder for yourself.
  5. SkylarEC

I absolutely will go for this. That isn't even a question, as it is apparent in the video that I already went for it.
  6. Chicken

Chicken Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    So why did you ask, or is that what you were explaining in that other post, that you wanted to show them off?
  7. SkylarEC

Please comment and rate the YouTube video. That's all I really wanted. While you're at it, foment and rate my last YouTube video about iPicFudger.
  8. gojohnnyboi

gojohnnyboi Well-Known Member

skylar i want your picfudger!!!! that is like the most kickass application i've ever seen from you and in general for photo editing.

Please Register or Log in to view images

you have my word ill buy it and grats on a job well done