Is this new? MAPS - tracking

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 3.0' started by StaticFX, Jul 1, 2009.

1. StaticFX

StaticFX New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    i had to zip over to a house about a mile away.. and i was messing with my Touch (3.0) - I had it on maps so I could see the right road to turn on.. I had pressed the locator button to recenter on my house... then moved to where the street was. Off I went. As I got close.. I noticed the blue locator dot moved!
    It tracked me all the way to the house and back home. I never got a Wifi signal (I was watching the status bar...yeah.. trying to while driving lol) but every so often, the blue dot would move to close to where i was.

is this new to 3.0? was it there before? and with no wifi, was it just pinging wifi networks for IP's?

Thanks
  2. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    The iPod can get an approximate location from wifi networks without being connected to them. It can pick up the router's MAC address which is in a SkyHook location database. It may also use IPs, though.
  3. StaticFX

StaticFX New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    hmmm... I figured something like that was going on. Is it new to 3.0 as far as being able to track you?
  4. eKoKnight

eKoKnight Member

Who cares its useless I wish someone could make a GPS that we can hoock to our ipod touchs why not. There bluetooth to hoock to our ipod touch and a fm radio to hoock up come on...
  5. Ryuzaki

Ryuzaki Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Mmm, that's really cool.
    But dude. My iPod think I'm in a totally different place on the Wi-fi network.
    Like, It thinks I'm somewhere half way across town where we moved from.
    -_-;