is this a good heatsink

Discussion in 'Computing, Science, and Technology' started by randomdude1234, Apr 25, 2010.

1. randomdude1234

randomdude1234 Member

OK. here is the deal. i have the following specs:
    AMD phenom 9550 quad core 2.24GHz proccessor
    6 GB DDR2
    ATI radeon 3450 (meh)
    vista home premium 64 bit.

i need a good heatsink, because i notice that when i really put this thing to the test (EX multiple firefox instances open/playing COD4) the heatsink gets loud. so i need a pretty quiet heatsink that will keep the proccessor pretty damn cool. like so cool i dont have to worry about overheating what so ever. so is this one any good for a quad core?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106068
    and does anyone have any really good suggestions? (i know the graphics card sucks but i cant worry about that right now)

it doesnt have to be THAT cool, i just need it to be almost silent and be able to keep the proccessor COOLER THAN THE STOCK HEATSINK.
  2. iPwn

iPwn Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Is ur CPU socket 939? I thought all quad AMDs were AM3/AM2 socket.

I need to replace my current AMD. It generates too much heat and eats too much power for little actual performance gain with the single core that came with my comp.
  3. randomdude1234

randomdude1234 Member

oh my bad i didnt see that.
    its an AM2+ if i read correctly. any suggestions?
  4. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
  5. randomdude1234

randomdude1234 Member

i read a few reviews on that saying that it is big. also, i need to be able to install it in case, i cant take the mobo out. the pics dont make it look to huge, but can you confirm any of this?
  6. Nburnes

Device:
    OnePlus One
    It is big, yes. Why can you not take the mobo out and then put it right back in? If you really possibly cannot do that for some reason, then choose one of these.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134&cm_re=Arctic_cooling_freezrr-_-35-186-134-_-Product
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185125&cm_re=Arctic_cooling_freezrr-_-35-185-125-_-Product

I have the Freezer 64 Pro and it keeps my 3.29 GHz quad cool and quiet. It is kind of large though, with it covering some RAM slots on my mobo, but that is Gigabytes fault.

Edit: Also helps a lot if you tell us how much you are willing to spend. Most of the middle to high-end coolers that actually are worth anything cost and some make you use backplates.
  7. iPwn

iPwn Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    He has a Socket AM2+ AMD. That one is made for an i5/i7. Wont work..

Quality doesn't matter. I overclocked my 2.0 ghz amd duo to 2.8 and it runs at 28 degrees celcius with an OEM heatsink.
  8. Nburnes

Device:
    OnePlus One
    Read the compatibility under specs bro. I do happen to know a lot about computers and there hardware.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Quality is actually most of it. I don't want some crappy cooler on my hardware. Also, I doubt you have it at 28C on a stock AMD cooler, maybe on idle, but load temps are the only ones that matter. Specially with a power hungry 3800+. Your ambients would have to be ridiculously low.
  9. randomdude1234

randomdude1234 Member

i just need to know one that will keep it cooler than my stock heatsink, will be quieter than my stock heatsink, and that is not any bigger than my stock heatsink, and doesn't require motherboard removal for install (im pretty good with computers, ive made one or two before, but im not comfortable risking something like that for a shared computer. if i messed it up, i would be screwed.)