iOS 3.1 Is there still a really compelling reason to jailbreak?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by jshames, May 8, 2010.

1. jshames

jshames Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    • Illegal/piracy-related discussions
    Given the great software availability in the App store, the features already incorporated into 3.1.3, and an impending release of OS 4 with multitasking and themes, its hard for me to see any good reason to JB the Ipod Touch.

Every time I have JB'd in the past I have undone it. I have never found any really useful JB application ([REDACTED] other than additional languages that were not available at the time). The performance and stability of the device always took a hit, and as the current threads indicate, the newest JB's are no exception.

I have the greatest respect to the programmers and hackers who have engineered the jailbreaking software, and to all of you who love tinkering with your devices, by all means, go ahead. I also think that it is because of your efforts, Apple has strived to improve the OS and has incorporated many features as a result. I still remember how crippled OS 1 was and how JBing opened up alot of other features. It's just my personal opinion, for those of us out there who just want a device that works reliably and smoothly, its not really worth JBing any more.
  2. deadlyvirus

deadlyvirus New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    4.0 has themes?
    Also, that reference to pirated apps is not tolerated on this forum so BANNED.
    Also, the main reason I jailbreak my iPod is so I can do whatever I want to it instead of what Apple wants me to do.
  3. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

Well, iPhone OS 4 lets you set backgrounds - which took them four years to do - but that's it as far as skinning goes. The main thing it removes the need for is Stacks or Categories, unless you're not the type who likes to be limited to 12 apps per category.

Some of the things which I like about jailbreak, which Apple still doesn't allow, involves manually managing files on my iPod, and WiFi scanners among other programs which they've forbidden (look at how they pulled previously-approved apps off the App Store at random).
  4. NitroBum

NitroBum Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    its true though. the most popular jailbreak items from the past have been incorporated into the apple firmware now.

user installed apps (appstore)
    quickgold (spotlight)
    clippy (native copy/paste)
    realsms (native in-app sms)
    categories (folders)
    backgrounder (push notifications, followed by native multitasking)
    themes (backgrounds only for now, but i dont even use that with my jailbreak)

cant think of anything else atm, but thats an impressive list for apple to take care of for us
  5. JoeyB

JoeyB Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    read/write access
  6. jshames

jshames Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    http://gizmodo.com/5512635/iphone-os-40-the-best-new-features

Not exactly themes, but changeable backgrounds....

Sorry for the infraction, I wasn't aware that even mentioning certain words was prohibited. I was merely giving background to my comments.

Yes, I understand why some people are JB. I like the idea of thumbing my nose at Jobs. Have you found that your JB device is less stable and slower?

For me the difference was SIGNIFICANT. (Although I admit it was on a Ipod Touch 1G, now I have a 3G). Everything started slower and ran slower, and there were freezes and crashes all of the time. On the non-JB this almost never happens.
  7. NitroBum

NitroBum Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    the thing many people don't realize is that jailbreaking doesn't slow your device at all. its the things you install once you've jailbroken that cause the problems. if theres only one tweak on cydia that you consider worth using, then its worth jailbreaking for.

i used to have many of the most popular cydia tweaks installed because i was so used to them that i thought i couldnt live without them. then i went through and forced myself to delete almost everything and then realized the speed that i had been missing. i now use only five icon dock, infiniboard, and liveclock. thats IT, and its far more than i need, but it doesnt slow my device noticeably.
  8. jshames

jshames Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    Those are minor tweaks, that will probably be available in OS 4 and/or the App store. I agree that it is mostly the JB apps that slow things down, but that is the whole point. Official AppStore apps DON'T slow things down or cause instability (except when a poorly written app crashes itself). Also, I found with JB apps, once I intalled apps, removing them didn't always restore the speed, sometimes they left "doo-doo" services running even after uninstallation. Cydia itself became intolerably slow over time, taking painfully long to load and run.

From what I understand, OS 4's implementation of multi-tasking is a clever work-around that won't significantly affect performance.
  9. TakenAppleDownAPeg

TakenAppleDownAPeg Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    True themes and access to apps and tweaks that apple won't allow.
  10. jmwerkus

jmwerkus Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    yes, but it could be better