Is there some US store one can buy a factory/legally unlocked iPhone 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by era506, Mar 23, 2009.

1. era506

era506 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Hi everyone!
    My sister's friend wants to give her husband an iPhone 3G on his birthday but here in Costa Rica the iPhone 3G hasn't come officially (I think) so as my other sister is going to the US next month, my sister's friend wants to give her money to buy one. I explained her that the only way to get an iPhone is to buy an AT&T plan (correct me if I'm wrong please) but it will be locked anyway so I told her that I will find out if you can buy a factory unlocked one somewhere, that way her husband doesn't have to worry about baseband updates if they unlock it using yellowsn0w.

So to sumarize: is there some place/store in the US my sister can buy a factory/legally uncloked iPhone 3G and how much will it cost?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

I'm sure there are exceptions but you're not going to find it in the US.

Apple and AT+T are in contract and they will not sell the unlocked ones in the US (at least not for a few more years).

If you want a factory unlocked one you will be paying a lot for it and I am not exactly sure where you'd find one. Maybe ebay but that is kind of risky as you couldn't know for sure if it is a factory unlocked one without buying it first.

I don't even know what countries the unlocked ones are selling in but I'm guessing you could find someone that would get one and ship it to you but that would be risky as well.

I wouldn't shy away from one from the US as long as it is not on the latest baseband if you want to unlock it at this time. The only thing is that he does not update it without making sure it is safe to do so.
  3. era506

era506 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Thank you for your answer!!

Actually that was what I was thinking.

I don't want to use ebay as my dad was scammed there with an iphone in the 1G era. Don't know about other countries but as you say that's risky too...

I know that but my sister is the one who is going to buy it and I'm pretty sure she will not notice the basband before buying one, even if I tell her to make sure about it

And I don't know how careful will the owner be when updating it, I'll have to tell him to bring it to me everytime an update is released just to make sure he doesn't mess up the unlock...

I will wait for more answers, maybe someone know about one of those exceptions...

4. ZaidKoya

ZaidKoya New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    what if you unlock it for her using yellowsn0w? im not sure where you could get it thou..
  5. era506

era506 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I know that, but I'm concerned about basebands updates. He could mess up the unlock if he updates...
  6. jamil_d

jamil_d Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    There's a "no-commitment" iPhone, but not unlocked. ($599 - 8GB)
  7. era506

era506 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I suppose that's not in an official Apple Store, right?
  8. Samphotog

Samphotog Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    yes you can but they cost 599

annd you have to mod them i assume jailbreaking
    http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/090319/technology/technology_at_amp_t_iphone[/URL]
  9. franky_402

franky_402 New Member

if you use the magik card or whatever its called then you wouldnt need to worry about baseband updates correct!! If so then you can buy the no commitment iphone and use that card!
  10. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

I have not actually used one of the magic SIMS (or Turbo SIMs) but I have not heard good things about them.

I was going to use one but changed my mind when I read more about them. It might be an alternative until the 3.0 software / jailbreak / unlock comes out but again I have heard that the results are undesirable.

Just another thought:
    Does it need to be the 3G? The 2G does not have the same problems unlocking as the 3G does but then you won't get the latest and greatest. Not exactly sure if that is a viable option but thought I'd pass it along.