Is there life elsewhere in the Universe?

Discussion in 'Computing, Science, and Technology' started by touchhacker101, Jan 3, 2009.

?

What do you think?

1. Yes

37 vote(s)
    82.2%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  3. I dont know

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  1. touchhacker101

touchhacker101 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I think that there must be.

The statitistics

1) The number of galaxies. An estimated 50 billion galaxies are visible with modern telescopes and the total number in the universe must surely exceed this number by a huge factor, but we will be conservative and simply double it. That's 100,000,000,000 galaxies in the universe.

2) The number of stars in an average galaxy. As many as hundreds of billions in each galaxy.

Lets call it just 100 billion.

That's 100,000,000,000 stars per galaxy.

3)The number of stars in the universe.

So the total number of stars in the universe is roughly 100 billion x 100 billion.

That's 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars, 10 thousand, billion, billion. Properly known as 10 sextillion. And that's a very conservative estimate.

4) The number of stars that have planetary systems. The original extra-solar system planet hunting technology dictated that a star needed to be to close to us for a planet to be detected, usually by the stars 'wobble'. Better technology that allows us to measure the dimming of a stars brightness when a planet crosses its disk has now revolutionised planet hunting and new planets are being discovered at an ever increasing rate. So far (August 2003) around 100 have been discovered so we have very little data to work on for this estimate. Even so, most cosmologists believe that planetary formation around a star is quite common place. For the sake of argument let us say it's not and rate it at only one in a million and only one planet in each system, as we want a conservative estimate, not an exaggerated one. That calculation results in:

10,000,000,000,000,000 planets in the universe. Ten million, billion, as a conservative estimate.

5) The number planets capable of supporting life. Let's assume that this is very rare among planets and rate it at only one in a million. Simple division results in:

10,000,000,000 planets in the universe capable of producing life. Ten billion!

Source: http://www.thekeyboard.org.uk/Extraterrestrial life.htm

10 billion is a big number for the amount of planets in the Universe, and thats assuming that each star has a 1 in a million chance of having a planet and only has one, and also assuming that only 1 in a million are capable of producing life

What do you think?
  2. wordlife6272

wordlife6272 New Member

im sure theres something out there.. we just dont know wat it is

i wonder wat they look like haha
  3. Gamma

Gamma Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    There probably is life elsewhere, although it probably isn't in any form that's recognizable to us
  4. awal

awal Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I believe that there very well may be life, it's the argument that there's intelligent life such as humanity on another planet that gets a little fuzzy when these debates occur.
    Christianity will tell you without a doubt that there can't be because God placed us on Earth. End of argument.
    Science (as your post proves) tells us that there has to be life elsewhere because of the sheer number of possibilities.
    Until there's some kind of proof (which isn't likely to come in my lifetime), I'll remain undecided on the issue.

And for lack of a better option, I'll choose "I don't know" in the poll.
  5. GrooveMachine

GrooveMachine Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hell, there may even be life in our solar system on Jupiter's moon, Europa, which is covered in water and ice (and scientists have found life in ice before, albeit microscopic).

Also, assuming that we're the smartest life in the universe is ridiculous. The universe has been around for an estimated 15 billion years, and Earth is only about 4.7 billion years old. It's extremely likely that we're not the smartest of the vast amount of life-harboring planets in the universe, and almost positively not the first life.
  6. NumNum

NumNum New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I'll just go ahead and say there is an infinite amount of space in existence, so I would say that someway over infinity, there will be life other than our own.
  7. wordlife6272

wordlife6272 New Member

there mite be life, but it wouldnt be like us
  8. mieraisamazing

mieraisamazing Banned

i dont believe there is life elsewhere.. earth is the only planet that has living creatures (imo) and that is how it will always be... no such thing as aliens, no such thing as life on mars... its all just theories that have been planted upon us by the scientists... this is what i think

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. Gamma

Gamma Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    There isn't infinite space in existence. Although the universe is expanding faster than the speed of light, it still has a finite radius.
  10. kevin1st

kevin1st Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    buts that WE in our age can see. think space goes on FOREVER AND EVER its gotta be more out there. and Enstine said that their are infinite duplicate universes so their probably more than earth. hack even mars once showed sign of water so ts totally possible