Is there any way of running command lines WITHOUT using a WIFI signal?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by sangesf, Jan 28, 2008.

1. sangesf

sangesf New Member

I want to be able to connect to my iPod via some kind of Terminal application that will work through the USB connection as opposed to WIFI so that I can run command lines?

Am I plain OUT OF LUCK?
  2. nobane

nobane New Member

Yes, terminal connections are over sockets which require internet connection, which is, of course, wifi or ethernet. USB is a data connection to the hard drives. To do something like that you would need in some complicated process to boot the itouch's unix OS from windows over the USB cable. Basically not and never will be possible. Just use SSH.

EDIT: if you are just wanting to run commands, use the vterm-100 program on the iTouch.
  3. sangesf

sangesf New Member

Right there with you...

Just was looking for a way, because the WIFI connection that I have access to at Starbucks, doesn't allow for secure socket connections over their WIFI

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. cjd82187

cjd82187 New Member

I had this problem today. My school wifi uses Cisco VPN using IPSec/UDP which the touch cannot use. I was able to make an AdHoc network on my MacBook Pro, connect to the AdHoc with my touch, and then I was able to SSH to the touch over the AdHoc I just made.