Is there an Instant Message Client that doesnt use 3rd party servers?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by edru, Sep 27, 2008.

1. edru

edru New Member

Since AppStore hit the iPhod's I have noticed one thing; every single chat app have moved to AppStore and all use some kind of 3rd party server to connect to. This basically leads to disconnects, not having fluent chats, and if you home out of the app, it closes. IM+ completely closes, AIM gives you a 5 minutes gap to where it can retrieve your messages, but after that you are screwed.

Is there anything out there like the old MobileChat? Im dying for some kind of AIM client that just connects directly to AIM (oscar). Basically MobileChat right before the appstore. I know it eats battery life and sh*t like that. Im sure the AppStore agreement has some sh*t written in it so you cant connect directly to AIM which is why all IM clients do it that way.. but is there anything out there? Any plans to work on anythign similiar? Im tired of having a jazzed up AimExpress.
  2. Tatertay

Tatertay Member

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    I don't really get what your asking, do you want an IM client thats reliable?
  3. brownbox

brownbox New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    i feel your pain. Unfortunately, there is nothing like that. The only answers ive got is to get a windows mobile phone. Im surprised no one made anything for jailbroken phones. I would pay money for something like that.

Meh

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. edru

edru New Member

well stability is given, which most of them have.

Im saying a client that corrects directly to aim, not something that goes through a middle man.
  5. ricardofelix95

ricardofelix95 Banned

6. Pelaez-1

Pelaez-1 New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    Actually, they use 3rd party servers to keep you connected after you close the app, or receive a call.

Basically, Apple doesn't allow developers to make apps that run in the background, so if you hit the home button, the app has to completely shut down. This sucks for IMs, and that's the reason of using their servers, they keep the messages in the server, so next time you enter the app, you get the messages, and for that time, you are shown as online.

I'm currently using Palringo and it's pretty good, and free.

And now Push is coming, meaning that you can close the app, and when you get a message, a notification will be pushed from the server to your device.
  7. rileyman

rileyman Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
  8. edru

edru New Member

Yeah, but Id rather have a jailbroken app that just ran in the background, rather than an official that didnt....

...but yeah with push it will be a bit better, it just depends on how long the server keeps you logged in. I know the official AIM is only 5 minutes of inactivity, which to me isnt long enough.
  9. brownbox

brownbox New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    speaking of push, any idea when its coming? Or even better, when it will actually be used by instant messengers?
  10. edru

edru New Member

aim.app - 3rd Party Server
    Parlingo - 3rd Party Server
    IM+ - 3rd Party Server
    m.ebuddy.com - WebBased

So all of these are ruled out... any more suggestions?

BrownBox: Rumor is 2.2