Is There an Emulator for PC That Will Run gpSPhone Saves?

Discussion in 'Gameboy Advance emulator (gpSPhone)' started by jdoog1234, Feb 10, 2009.

1. jdoog1234

jdoog1234 New Member

The thread title says it all. I already transfered my save files from my iPod touch and I want to be able to play them on my computer. Does anyone know of an emulator for PC that will open the .svs file that the gpSPhone uses?
  2. espeorb

espeorb New Member

.SVS is a save state, not the actual savegame. The save game that comes from you saving the game normally is .SAV, and you should be able to use that with visualboyadvance provided that the name of the rom is the same as the name of the .sav, and that the two files are in the same directory/folder on your computer.
  3. metroidnut

metroidnut New Member

how do you make sav files, or where do they show up in the iphone directory? i found all my svs save state files, but can't figure out how to get in game saves or sav files. any idea?

thanks!
  4. metroidnut

metroidnut New Member

Ok. So when I make an in-game save on gpsphone, where does the .sav file end up? every time I winSCP into my iphone, all i see in the gba roms directory are .svs files.

lil help?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    OH! I got it. There is one .sav file in the same directory as all the .svs. It didn't show up until I did an in game save, then saved the state.

Thanks!
    Crap! I'm lost again. Now whenever I make an in-game save, it doesn't seem to update the .sav file with the new info. It's like its stuck on a save I did a while ago, and no new saves will go over it. I even tried copying the game to a new player (playing Metroid Fusion), saving in game and then saving state, saving in game and not saving state and shutting gpsphone off, saving in game and then saving state in the start up screen for the game, and just about anything else I can think of. Is there some problem maybe with file permissions or something? It's really weird too because when I load one of my save states (.svs.) and die, it will still respawn me at the last save point i was at if i choose "yes" and continue playing. but if I choose "no" and exit to the main menu, then look at the in game saves, it is still stuck back at one i did hours ago, and when i load it it takes me way back in the game.

This is really odd, no? So maybe it's a permissions issue or something? Any ideas? I'd really like to keep going with what I did earlier. I made a backup of and copied the .sav file over to my pc to pass a really hard part (controls for fusion on gpsphone are kind of a pain in the ass, especially when you need to hold down r trigger, hit b to shoot rockets, and a to jump, all while moving around and dodging a boss), then copied the .sav back to my iphone after i got farther in the game. but now it seems like it won;t save any game saves from gpsphone over the .sav file.

any help is sincerely appreciated. Thanks!

Mike
    So here's the solution to passing saved games back and forth from gpSPhone to VisualBoyAdvance.

The gpSPhone .sav file will keep updating with new save game info as long as it was the file generated on the gpSPhone emulator originally. But apparently there was some compatibility problem with updating the .sav file after I had updated it on my PC using VBA emulator, then copied it back to the iPhone to use with gpSP.

The solution is this:

First things first - make a backup copy of your .sav file on the iPhone/iPod before doing anything else, just to be safe.

option a: After you copy your .sav file from the /private/var/mobile/Media/ROMs/GBA folder on your iP (iPod touch/iPhone) to your ROM directory on your PC and update it with new save game data from playing on VBA, load the .sav file back onto your iP device from your PC.

option b: If you originally started playing the game on your PC and want to move it over to your iP, just copy over the .sav file.

2. Once the .sav is transferred back to your iP, start the game, NOT from your last .svs save state (if you have any), but as if you were starting the game for the first time from the 'browse' menu. It will load the .sav file, so you can continue your game from the last in-game save point you made playing on your PC.

3. Next, create a new .svs save state through the gpSP menu, load it to make sure it works, then exit the app.

4. Now SSH into your phone with winSCP (or other SSH app) and delete the .sav file from /private/var/mobile/Media/ROMs/GBA

5. Close SSH connection, disconnect iP from your PC, and launch gpSP again.

6. Start your game from your latest .svs save state under 'saves'.

7. Do an in-game save. This will create a new .sav file with the current save game info which will continue to update on gpSP as you play the game and make more in-game saves.

8. Repeat the process as many times as you have to in order to get through all the parts that are too hard to pass using the touch screen controls.

So far I have only tested this on a Win XP Pro PC using gpSPhone 4.0.0. and VisualBoyAdvance 1.8.0-beta 3, and with the game Metroid Fusion. If anyone is on a Mac, or using some other game with in-game saving, please try it and post a reply to confirm this works with whatever emulator/version, Mac OS version, and game you are using.

Game on!
    ~Metroidnut
  5. tipe

tipe New Member

its didnt work... in anyway...... the ezxtension from gpsphone is svs not sav... and then i cant open it in vba...
  6. Crypt

Crypt Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    then rename the file to a .sav
  7. baekalfen

baekalfen Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    i think it is because the .sav (if it even exist) gets deleted when you close the app
  8. Mikey.b.izzle

Mikey.b.izzle New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    .sav files can be created within gpSPhone via saving IN GAME.

Example: In Pokemon Emerald you hit start then scroll to save. This creates a game save with the extension .sav and is therefore usable in VBA.

I can confirm that this does work (in Pokemon Emerald, anyway.)
  9. corehop

corehop New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Figured out

Ok, old thread, I know, but this was high up on a google search, so I thought I should shed some light on the situation.

VisualboyAdvance calls .sav files "Battery Files". So you can go import/export .sav files from the File menu.

gpsPhone can use these .sav files, but first you should set the permissions so the group can read, write and execute the file. In command line, use:
    Code:
    chmod 777 "GameName.sav"
    Or, in WinSCP, right click the file, go to properties, and enter 0777 in the Octal box and hit ok.

So now you can open the ROM in gpsPhone, and it should automatically load the .sav. Then you can transfer the .sav file to your PC, open the ROM in VisualBoyAdvance, and then go to File>Import>Battery file and load the .sav.

And then to copy it back to the iPhone, go to File>Export>Battery File, then save it and copy over to the ROMs folder on the iphone.

That makes things a bit simpler than having to do savestates, then delete the file, then make a new file.
  10. vindicate2606

vindicate2606 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Can someone please help me...I am having a similar problem. I started playing pokemon crystal on my ipod touch, on the emulator gb4iphone. The problem is that I need to trade some pokemon. The only way i know to do this is to use tgbdual to load to emulator images and then trade. But the problem is getting my save files to my pc and then getting them to load on that program to do the trade. Then i must get them back to the ipod. If anyone knows a better way to do this please help me. I have been trying to get help on this topic for weeks and can find nothing. This thread is the closest I have come.PLEASE Help