Is there an app to route my computer sounds through my iPod?

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Games & Apps' started by Veovis Muad'dib, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Veovis Muad'dib

Veovis Muad'dib New Member

I have used all kinds of computer-iPod cross-communication apps like Jaduu, and I love not only the fact that they exist, but also that they're so useful. However, my question is this:

I have a laptop, on which I play games, watch movies, listen to music, and so on. I have an iPod Touch that has the same wireless capabilities as my laptop, as well as a 3.5mm jack on the bottom. So, it is possible to route my computer's sounds through the iPod Touch to emulate wireless speakers. But is there an app out yet that does this, or do I have to request one from someone?
  2. ghost1337

ghost1337 New Member

very interesting idea!
    i'd like to have such an app too
  3. Veovis Muad'dib

Yeah, it'd be a great thing to have, that way I could do things without remembering how poor quality the speakers in my MacBook Pro are. So does anyone know of a suitable app, or should I start requesting it? Now that I think about it, it might need to be a jailbroken app, because Apple wouldn't want to cut into their AirPort sales, and that's one of the features of their base station, it allows wireless speakers to be used. Regardless, I'll ask everywhere I can find.

I'm a huge fan of FOSS, but for this, I'd pay $5-10.
  4. Ex-Touch

Ex-Touch New Member

The iPod's speakers aren't very loud. Just buy a good $15 pair without the hassle of setup.
  5. Veovis Muad'dib

No, I have a First Generation iPod Touch, it has no speakers. What I mean is that I have an iPod Touch, a set of Logitech X-540's that I can easily hook up to my iPod, and a laptop that I can not easily hook up to the speakers. I would like to be able to use my Logitech speakers that I already own, have set up, and am quite pleased with, with my computer, without dealing with a huge wire coming all the way across my room from the T.V. to my laptop tray. If someone made a program for the iPod Touch (There would most likely be a mirror program for the computer as well that would have to be running) to stream every sound made on my computer to the iPod Touch, which is hooked up to the speakers in the front of the room, I would have wireless speakers.

I'm sorry for that rambling paragraph, but that is the best way I can explain it.

A couple of pluses for this program that would make me buy it no matter what:

Two way communication - The ability to play all the sounds from my computer on my iPod instead, as well as playing iPod sounds from the computer. With Jaduu around, this isn't necessary, but it'd be nice.

Multi-Platform - On my laptop, I use Mac OS 10.5.5, Ubuntu 8.10, and Windows Vista. The ability to use all of this on at least two of these platforms would make my day. All three would be a godsend.

It looks like I'm going to be moving this to requests as soon as I have time to rewrite it to be suitable. Probably tonight, I'm on my way to school at the moment.
  6. EricJD

EricJD New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    You could use some sort of audio broadcast application on your computer and FStream on the iPod. It would probably be slightly delayed, though.
  7. Veovis Muad'dib

That could work, I'll check it out. If there is a noticeable delay, it won't be a good solution for movies or games though... If FStream is free, (I have never heard about it before) I'll go try it out right now. If it's not, could someone who owns it please confirm that this could work with no significant delay? Even if it's $0.99, I don't care, I want to be sure it's what I want before I buy it.
  8. bulungula

bulungula New Member

FStream is free.

you can stream easily with vlc, so that would work with music and probably video if the delay isnt to big.

but for the whole sound, you would need an audio driver, who streams the output over wifi.
  9. Veovis Muad'dib

That is awesome, free is always appreciated.

VLC streaming the audio would be great for movies, if, as you mentioned, the delay isn't too bad. Plus, VLC is installed on every OS I run, another plus.