Is there a wayy..

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jron2008, Oct 18, 2007.

1. jron2008

jron2008 New Member

to figure out the hidden name of the wireless network at my school
    2day i discovered that there is a hidden wireless network through out my entire school and is not password protected...is there a way to figure out the name of ssid??
  2. music4life

music4life Active Member

If you're iPod is searching for wireless and doesn't find it. There is no way unless an administrator at the school tells you the SSID. I don't think there is any other way.
  3. Complexis

Complexis Retired Moderator

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Yes there is, but not by searching for it with your laptop or anything. You'd have to find out from either an administrator, or staff. You could try looking up connection settings, but judging by the security at the schools I went to, those are password protected and are not viewable by students.
  4. DJ Xander

DJ Xander New Member

ask the teacher? lol other than that try stumbler (in installer), but usually if its hidden u HAVE to know the name and pass of it.. my school sux they have proxies :'(
  5. Rallos

Rallos New Member

There is a way. Go into installer and there should be an app called stumbler. Install that. When you scan if you are within range of this network with a hidden SSID it should pop up on stumbler.

Please Register or Log in to view images

EDIT: This will give you the SSID but it won't help you with other security features such as wep protection or being required to log onto the server via a http proxy before internet access is granted.
  6. Complexis

Complexis Retired Moderator

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Just to note, WEP2 is not compatible with it, though WEP (enterprise) and WEP are.
  7. jron2008

jron2008 New Member

there is no wep on the network but the name of it on stumbler is <hidden>
    so thats why i need to figure out the name...unless the actual name is <hidden> haha
    thanks for everyones help tho
  8. hohohohohohoho

hohohohohohoho New Member

i used stumbler and found a similar hidden network at my school, but when i went to put in the network name, which was displayed as <hidden> on stumbler, it said that it couldnt find the network. it was neither WPA or WEP protected. suggestions?

edit: lol i think the person above me posted while i was typing mine. ><
  9. Rallos

Rallos New Member

Get a program and use a laptop (use netstumbler for PC and kisMAC for macs, both are free programs).
  10. hohohohohohoho

hohohohohohoho New Member

these will give me the network SSID so that i'll be able to connect with my touch later? cuz im not really keen on taking a laptop to school every day.