Is there a way to prevent people from cracking your apps?

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by bamhm182, Mar 26, 2009.

1. bamhm182

bamhm182 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I'm thinking no, and that you just have to hope people won't, but I figured I'd ask anyways, I've looked and didn't find anything.

Over the last few days, I've jailbroken my iPod, played around with everything, found out about cracked apps and how easy it was to crack them. I'll admit, I did use a few cracked apps, but I deleted them and bought all the ones that I used that I could afford, I only used a couple, so it wasn't that hard to buy them.

I don't support cracked apps, cracking apps, anything of the sort, and I wanted to know if there's any way to prevent your apps from getting cracked. I'm working on making a few games, but got somewhat discouraged and angry when I saw just how easy it was to get cracked apps on your iPod. It downright sucks.

Also, does anyone know why Apple doesn't step in more? It seems like it'd be easy enough to kill cracked apps. I don't know much about how cracking them is played out, but I THINK how it works is that people buy the apps, change some code, and resign it, it seems like it would be easy enough for Apple to either 1. Take out iTunes support for IPAs, since that is how most apps are hacked, or 2. Make it so that whenever someone goes to install a new IPA, check with a list that's encrypted to holy hell before the apps work.

Alright, apparently I didn't search hard enough, I googled some more and found an article about a company being able to turn cracked apps into demos, I'm just going to add the article to this though because I still want people's opinions on why Apple doesn't step up more, and what methods you use to prevent piracy in your apps.

The article is worth a read, but mentions some websites where you can get hacked applications and what not, so here it is with all that edited out and in quotes:
    Moderators, I'm sorry if this is a touchy subject, I read the rules, and I THINK that as long as I don't post how to download or install apps. I completely understand if this thread needs to be deleted or edited.
  2. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Apple have done all that they need to. On a stock iphone, the apps are 100% non crackable.
  3. ChronicFunk

ChronicFunk New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Exactly. Although, it takes that one selfish person to replace a certain file through SSH and be able to get any app he basically wants too.

Although, if the OP is developing for the Cydia application, it's going to be a lot different then if he's developing for the AppStore. Developing for the AppStore basically is the gogo for someone to crack it. If it's a Cydia app, then there's no such tool to crack it.
  4. itouchnathan

itouchnathan New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Cydia apps are much easier, in my eyes, to crack then App Store apps.
  5. ChronicFunk

ChronicFunk New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    How so?
  6. bamhm182

bamhm182 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I guess that's correct, through Apple's eyes. Still though, it seems like they could EASILY do more to help both themselves through the 30% that they lose per crack and the developers, I guess either way, they're still making money.

I agree with 007, the App Store Apps are easier to crack ATM, however, I think with enough time, the same people who pirate app store games will pirate Cydia games.
  7. ChronicFunk

ChronicFunk New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Every AppStore app is crackable, whether it's worth cracking or not, the tools available make it easy for the noobiest of the noobs. But as for Cydia, if a great game is released via it, and it's has a price, I'm sure a cracked version won't be available as fast as a AppStore one would.
  8. bamhm182

bamhm182 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    EDIT: I was originally asking for a file, but Skylar has informed me that it'd violate Apple's IPR and that's a no go on sites with good moral fiber. Sorry for the request and it won't happen again.
  9. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Unfortunately, giving you that file would be a violation of Apple's IPR. No one can give it to you, lest they be banned. By me.
  10. bamhm182

bamhm182 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Alright, fair enough, sorry for the request, I might re-jailbreak it later. As for now, I can trust myself not to do anything I shouldn't be doing.